'Unhelpful posts' ??

It can't be.

P.m. means before noon, and a.m. means after noon.

Midnight is equidistant.

It is "midnight" or "twelve midnight" or "00:00"

From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday.

Sponsored Links
It can't be.
shouldn't be - but, as I have said, and Sunray has just illustrated, that does not alteer the fact that some peoeple,and some 'officialdom' get it wrong :)
Indeed. the "M" of AM and PM stands for 'meridiem', hence AM and PM refer to the situation in which thee sun has not yet passed, or has already passed the meridian of the location in question (i.e. before or after sun is highest in the sky - 'solar noon'), respectively
Midnight is equidistant. It is "midnight" or "twelve midnight" or "00:00"
As has been discussed, the meaning of "midday" and "midnight" is somewhat less clear and consistent, and does not necessarily relate directly to the timing of noon.

From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday.
As I've just written,I think you'll find that the M of AM and PM stands for "meridiem", hence referring to the point in time at which the sun passes the meridian of the location (i.e. solar noon)

It can't be.

Midnight is equidistant.

It is "midnight" or "twelve midnight" or "00:00"
It can't be what?
Who are you replying to?

Sponsored Links
As I've just written,I think you'll find that the M of AM and PM stands for "meridiem", hence referring to the point in time at which the sun passes the meridian of the location (i.e. solar noon)
Did you read my quote?

As has been discussed, the meaning of "midday" and "midnight" is somewhat less clear and consistent, and does not necessarily relate directly to the timing of noon.
The two "Mids" are the 12s. One is in the day and one in the night.

Sorted.

shouldn't be - but, as I have said, and Sunray has just illustrated, that does not alteer the fact that some peoeple,and some 'officialdom' get it wrong :)

Ah but I then asked her what time it actually meant and she quite expectedly said "Middle of the night".

"So". Replied Sunray; "How long does it take to get from Warsaw to Auschwich by coach?"

Original post about off topic posts now totally off topic.

Did you read my quote?
You mean the one which said ..
:?:
If so, as I said, and despite what many people/sources think/day, I'm not at all sure that that "ante meridiem" means "before midday" (whatever 'midday' may mean), but, rather, 'before the time when the sun passes the meridian of the location' (i.e. when the sun is highest in the sky at that location).

The two "Mids" are the 12s. One is in the day and one in the night.
That's obviously true in terms of common usage - in which "midday", "noon", "12 midday", "12 noon", 12:00 and 12 PM all mean the same thing, but we are talking about what should bee the correct meanings of such terminologies.

The point I was making in the post you have quoted is that midday and midnight do not necessarily (in fact, rarely do) correspond exactly with the time of noon (whether defined in astronomical or solar terms, or in relation to the postulated 'monks' origin).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back