'Unhelpful posts' ??

In the summer what time is midday? 12 or 1? As middle of day does not change with daylight saving, but most forget daylight saving and think it means 12, same with midnight.
Totally correct of course but I'd have to drop this into the 'Everybody knows what it means' category.

Sponsored Links
In the summer what time is midday? 12 or 1? As middle of day does not change with daylight saving, but most forget daylight saving and think it means 12, same with midnight.
Think its Richmond has parking restrictions 10AM to NOON, it was 2pm and i had no clue if i could park there.

Totally correct of course but I'd have to drop this into the 'Everybody knows what it means' category.
It must be Friday evening ;)

The everyday usage of the words 'midday' and (the more strictly defined) "noon" (when sun is at its highest in the sky at the location in question) are necessarily vague since, for obvious practical reasons, our 'time zones' are 'arbitrary' and of finite width - so noon will occur at exactly 12:00 (or 13:00, if we have 'fiddled with the clocks'!) 'clock time' at one point within each time zone.

However, it's certainly one of those cases of us "knowing what is meant" - since the words"midday" and "noon" are invariably used to refer to 12:00 in terms of the currently prevailing 'clock time' for the zone in question (i.e. GMT or BST in the UK) !

Kind Regards, John

Think its Richmond has parking restrictions 10AM to NOON, it was 2pm and i had no clue if i could park there.
As I've just written, for them to use "noon" (strictly ... when the sun in at its highest in the sky) is a bit naughty since, in terms of strict definition (rather than common usage) it occurs at "1 PM" during the summer in the UK ;) They presumably relying on "we know what they mean", but the strict definition of 'noon' may be an argument one could try to use in Court when contesting one's parking fines :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I've just written, for them to use "noon" (strictly ... when the sun in at its highest in the sky) is a bit naughty since, in terms of strict definition (rather than common usage) it occurs at "1 PM" during the summer in the UK ;) They presumably relying on "we know what they mean", but the strict definition of 'noon' may be an argument one could try to use in Court when contesting one's parking fines :)

Kind Regards, John
I think it actually said 12 Noon, but that word although i have heard it mentioned, only in cowboy films, i genuily never new what time it meant

Now I'll deliberately use the term Midday, referring to the middle of the clock day as opposed to Noon for exactly the reasons raised (ie highest sun time) unless others are using noon and I'll drop into common language to avoid contradictive conversation, just the same as the other old chestnuts we encounter on here.

So midday is 12:13 UTC where I live.
Solar Noon may well be (I presume you've looked it up correctly) - but "midday" really means whatever one perceives it to mean - and, as I said, the vast majority of people would perceive it as meaning "12:00 current local clock time"

I think it actually said 12 Noon, but that word although i have heard it mentioned, only in cowboy films, i genuily never new what time it meant
Now I'll deliberately use the term Midday, referring to the middle of the clock day as opposed to Noon for exactly the reasons raised (ie highest sun time) unless others are using noon and I'll drop into common language to avoid contradictive conversation, just the same as the other old chestnuts we encounter on here.
I think it would be noon rather than midday.
I think this is a situation in which the 'common usage' used by the overwhelming majority of people trumps everything else, including technical and dictionary definitions. "Midday", "12 Midday", "Noon" and "!2 Noon" are all almost universally used to refer to '12:00 local clock time'.

Last edited:
I think it would be noon rather than midday.
Yep, that's probably what he has looked up and, given his location that will be appreciably different from what it would be for someone in, say Norfolk.

The problem is, of course, that all clocks within a time zone are set to the same time, despite the fact that 'solar time' (hence astronomical/solar noon) varies by roughly an hour between one edge and the other of most time zones.

Kind Regards, John

Prior to the coming of the railways, different areas of the country used different times.

When trains came along, the timetables used a standardised time, which was gradually adopted by the people.

Prior to the coming of the railways, different areas of the country used different times. When trains came along, the timetables used a standardised time, which was gradually adopted by the people.
Yes, I've heard that before, and I believe that prior to the standardisation because of railways, most large cities in the UK had their 'own time'.

Ironically, although that pre-railways situation would clearly be very inconvenient/unworkable in the modern word,it presumably meant that, back then, "noon" was, in many cases, probably closer to 12:00 ("midday"? :) ) (in 'local clock time') then than it is now!

Kind Regards, John

Nor do I understand. It can't really be a 'personality clash in the normal sense, since we don't know each other from Adam, only knowing what each other writes (as is also seen by everyone else).

It's not the moaning about 'ruining of threads'which worries me, since I fully understand that a good few people are probably irritated or annoyed by the ways in which discussions sometimes develop here. My unhappiness is in being 'singled out' for such criticism, particularly when (as in the most recent case) it is quite apparent that someone other than myself initiated the 'ruining'.

One possibility comes to mind, since it's something I have encountered ('suffered from') it in the past. Some people tend to resent a situation in which someone with no relevant background, training or qualifications know a little about the subject of 'their profession', perhaps to the point at which many might think that they were a member of that profession, and even more so if the person 'dared to question' views or statements of a member of that profession.

I think I've seen this 'singling out' with one other member of this forum (not seen for some time), who used to come to the forum once every few weeks and seemed to do little other than to 'single out' messages posted by me and 'criticise' them. However, he was a little more explicit in a manner that suggested his problem was primarily related to my lack of background/experience - which I suppose is sort=of fair enough (up to a point!).

None of us is omniscient or 'always right'. Whether in my working life, here or anywhere else, if anyone were to "100% agree with what I said/wrote for 100% of the time" I would seriously doubt their knowledge of the subject concerned and/or their intelligence!

Exactly. As I always say, whilst it's obviously true that a particular situation or practice cannot be any less safe today than it was X years ago, there have been considerable changes over time in what 'we' regard as an 'acceptable' degrees of safety (or risk). That's true across the board but, in terms of electrical matters, there are many things which were considered 'acceptable' when I was a child but which, although they cannot be any 'less safe' today than they were back then, would be essentially 'unthinkable' today.

Kind Regards, John
In essence, yes thinks are no more or no less safe/unsafe as they were at the time we thought of it as normal practice.
It is just now that our perception of safety has changed, not usually a bad thing IMHO;
However it does sometimes encourage the blame culture excesses methinks'

"It`s not my fault I climbed up a 20 foot high wall and fell off and broke me leg `cos nobody had put a notice there to tell me not to, so now they owe me compensation.
Yer Right! get lost !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back