Unknown fatter waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers. I'm in the process of my first kitchen install and have had a productive weekend gutting the kitchen. Now I need to move the sink waste across and am having trouble identifying the existing fittings.

In the lower-left of the pic below you can see the waste come up from the floor below (40mm white) then join onto a much wider grey bend, which then goes to a Tee having a ~55mm pipe going up off-pic to the sink waste. Why is the pipe going up to the sink 55mm? Can I replace this whole section with standard 40mm fittings? These fittings near the sink waste are much bulkier than the rest of the waste and I'm confused as to why.

Sponsored Links
They probably had trouble with blockages in the past and thought that increasing the waste pipe size would solve the problem.

40mm is the minimum trap size so I would have thought that connecting to the existing / running new 40mm wouldn't be an issue.

Ive seen them using larger waste pipe when a waste disposal was installed, they have a min of 50mm, so they may have increased that. Bit silly though then running it into 40mm, kinda pointless.

If you're using a standard sink then as TT mentions, 40mm should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Ive seen them using larger waste pipe when a waste disposal was installed, they have a min of 50mm, so they may have increased that. Bit silly though then running it into 40mm, kinda pointless.

If you're using a standard sink then as TT mentions, 40mm should be fine.

Yeah, as Madrab said, I have assumed it is just a standard sink waste now, since you haven't said otherwise.

Hope it all goes well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back