Unlawful loft ?

Sponsored Links
By jove I think he's got it at last, if they'd got an LDC, none of this would have ever happened, the very thing such a certificate can prevent! (y)

Yes you are correct.

Don't bother doing anything under PD, in case a Solicitor questions it at sale time in the future. Get an LDC for every single thing, or to be sure get full planning permission. Let numpty planning technicians defeat the whole concept of the PD regime just for the sake of a numpty solicitor.

No matter what it is, if a solicitor questions it that's it, you've had it the sale is blown.

SMH.

Sponsored Links
Oh look, even more numptyness from a Solicitor.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fensa-certificate-with-loft-conversion.504580/

How does one guard against this down in sunny Devon, I wonder? What advice is necessary - get an LDC, a FENSA cert, perhaps individual gas and electric certificates, something from Dulux for the paint and DEFRA for the garden flowers? Can never have too many certificates.

Some grey areas of our sometimes complicated PD legislation warrant an LDC, some don't. It's not rocket science yet you still won't have it. What's your solution? Oh yeah employ a surveyor to write a report trumping the solicitor? Or maybe you should start a campaign to ensure every crap solicitor is retrained? They sure help the OP. Wow the forum is blessed today with your incredible solutions.

Some grey areas of our sometimes complicated PD legislation warrant an LDC, some don't. It's not rocket science yet you still won't have it. What's your solution? Oh yeah employ a surveyor to write a report trumping the solicitor? Or maybe you should start a campaign to ensure every crap solicitor is retrained? They sure help the OP. Wow the forum is blessed today with your incredible solutions.

Which do warrant an LDC and which don't?
Does a loft converson that is cleary PD warrant and LDC or not in sunny Devon?

Garden fence, it's PD. New window, it's PD. Front driveway, it's PD. Take down the chimney, it's PD. All PD, not grey areas at all.

No its easy isnt it, it's all PD no need for an LDC at all. Not rocket science it's so clear.

My solution is
  • use the PD system in the way it was intended - ie no need to apply for something that is PD
  • Use the LDC process only to get a detmination if development is lawful - ie
    • is not already covered by the PD rules
    • not covered by the planning rules
    • confirm that unauthorised work is time barred from enforcement
Your solution is
  • apply for LDC for everything in case a solicitor asks for one.
Brilliant. The only problem I see with your solution, is that involves a great degree of not having a clue about planning rules. You dont't know, so cover your arse. And that's where we differ.

More a Llama than goat.

This rocket science that you speak of means applying for an LDC on every single PD loft conversion ..... just in case. Which is nonsense advice really. I can see how it might be a nice little earner though.

Using your own logic there should never be a house sale falls down for the sake of little certificate. Yet there are. Or are you really too stubborn to acknowledge it?

I have no control over numpty solicitors, buyers or planning technicians.

I have no control over numpty solicitors, buyers or planning technicians.
No that's right you don't, which is one of the reasons LDCs exist. And yet if a numpty technician had gotten them an LDC the OP would have sold their house by now, the sale wouldn't have fallen through, they'd have saved untold amounts of money, stress and heartache. But you carry on in woody world where everything works just like it should on paper. And one other thing, sometimes it rains in Devon.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/unlawful-loft.504648/page-2#ixzz5JTd3rfqz

I don't have Woody's encyclopedic knowledge of the permitted development rules and would still appreciate his help on this one...https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/side-extension-half-width-of-existing-house-what-about-attached-garage.503157/ ...as the planners are just ignoring my phone calls and emails now and I cannot find a definitive answer either way.

But back to this pesky loft. The difference between a loft conversion and an extension is the consequences of getting it wrong. If you make a minor error on an extension and the planners deem that due to a minor technicality it is not actually permitted development you have always got the fall back position of submitting a planning application and probably getting approval, like my example above. With a hip to gable loft conversion or a stonking great rear dormer which has got political and where the planners deem that for instance the materials are not similar enough then you have probably got virtually no chance of getting planning approval so you are stuffed. Your only route is an appeal on the enforcement action, why go through all that stress for the sake of a £100 LDC?

why go through all that stress for the sake of a £100 LDC?
And yet if a numpty technician had gotten them an LDC the OP would have sold their house by now, the sale wouldn't have fallen through, they'd have saved untold amounts of money, stress and heartache.

And which loft conversions should an LDC be applied for? What's the criteria in your logic? Or is it every single one to avoid the stress and heartache?

We'll forget about PD extensions, driveways, garages and outbuildings for a moment, or would a Solicitor question those too?

Do you two advise your clients that an LDC "should" be obtained for all your PD work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back