FENSA certificate with loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Our loft conversion was signed off 2 years ago and is guaranteed for another 8 years.

I am selling and have sent the completion certificate and guarantee to the buyer's solicitor.
The loft guarantee covers all work and materials within the loft.

I am now being asked to pay for an indemnity policy of £204 because the windows within the loft conversion don't have a FENSA certificate.
The indemnity policy covers the buyer against being pursued by the council for non compliance. The building inspector paid particular close attention to the french doors in the loft and the juliet balcony and said it appeared good quality. He never mentioned FENSA
I have read that the indemnity insurance would be invalid anyway because the work has been inspected and signed off. I asked the insurer providing the quote if that is true that the policy would be invalid and he could neither confirm nor deny it.
The buyer still insists on this indemnity policy.
I am not going to let a sale fall through for the sake of £204 but what a waste of money. Why pay money for something that is invalid?
I have asked the loft company for a FENSA certificate but have not yet received a reply.

Any thoughts folks?

Sponsored Links
If the loft conversion included the doors under building regulations and was passed by the building inspector, then if you have the final certifcate for the building regs, that is your proof of compliance to the regulations.

You dont need a self certifcation FENSA certificate, as far as I can see they are talking rubbish -just tell them the doors were part of the loft conversion and have been inspected and passed.

if the windows are new,not replacements then fensa is not required but sign off by building regulations yes.either council or an independent.

To progress on your sale you can pay the indemnity rip off payment but ensure you enclose a written rider in the sale saying you have agreed to an indemnity for a quick sale although other qualifying paperwork is (hopefully is) available but not available at this date.

good luck,have been there :)

thanks for replies folks. I'll tell them I don't need the indemnity :D

Sponsored Links
As above fensa doesn't apply to new windows only replacement if being signed off

Windows are covered in the building regs application. :rolleyes:

Is that even a proper Solicitor?

You might not want to lose a sale. However a buyer has more to lose at this stage. They will either ignore it or tell them they can pay.

What they all said- FENSA and the other bunch are for when you get a window company to supply & fit your windows and they self-certify to Building Control. If the windows have been installed as part of a larger scheme inspected by Building Control then their completion certificate is your proof of compliance. Too many conveyancers/solicitors have a ticky-box app on their Ipad- question 'New windows?' (Y/N). If Y then 'Proof of compliance FENSA etc' Y/N. If N then generate a page of A4 legal nonsense to scare people.
FENSA compliance is a joke anyway- no certification of installation method, suitability, all they check is that the glass is the right thermal rating & is safety glass in the special areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back