Unvented / Vented / Combi warmfront boiler replacement

Sponsored Links
That forum is about buyingBG products direct from BG.

The TRV4 is about £17 and I dont see how BG could sell them profitably for much less.

But I have never heard of BG staff being able to BUY the BG products before.

As they are not meant to do private heating jobs it seems unlikely they would still sell their bits to staff. But we need a staff member to advise.

That forum is about buyingBG products direct from BG.

The TRV4 is about £17 and I dont see how BG could sell them profitably for much less.

But I have never heard of BG staff being able to BUY the BG products before.

As they are not meant to do private heating jobs it seems unlikely they would still sell their bits to staff. But we need a staff member to advise.

No idea on their profit margins or internal policies, the person isn't an engineer BTW and I am 110% sure it's legit and above board (if that's what you were implying by "BUY") due to his position in the company! ;)

I guess it's like any large company, if you know the right people....

LN

"The WF assessor has now visited and he's agreed on a Vaillant ecoTEC 418 boiler, new honeywell 2-port valves, programmer and RF thermostat."

The Vaillant is on the DECC list but it can only be used if you have a water softener.

Hope the successful contractor knows this and asks eaga tech in writing to use it, and gets written agreement or he may have to pay for it himself if it is picked up at a subsequent post install audit.

Sponsored Links
"The WF assessor has now visited and he's agreed on a Vaillant ecoTEC 418 boiler, new honeywell 2-port valves, programmer and RF thermostat."

The Vaillant is on the DECC list but it can only be used if you have a water softener.

Hi vulcancontinental,

I've just searched the ecoTEC installation manual, Vaillant web site and Googled DECC and can't find any reference to this (open vented) boiler needing "a water softener"? - Could you provide a reference or further info for this requirement please and I will take it up with Vaillant and/or Eaga as necessary.

Thanks!

LN

Oh sorry, I didn't explain myself well at all.

The instructions to WF surveyors were and still are that for heat only boilers the following should be used in order of preference Ideal, Baxi, Worcester (you can chose). However these all have aluminium heat exchangers which would not wear well when in a system filled with water via a water softener (not a magnetic scale reducer).

The Vaillant has a stainless steel heat exchanger which is unaffected by softening salts.

All boilers are chosen from the approved list. Your Vaillant should be used only after written permission is asked for by the surveyor and granted from the tech dept. with the reasons for the request i.e. you have a water softener. A request on your behalf for a preference will not swing it - I know, I tried it.

They will not sanction full payment if the product is used without this written authority - in theory. The contractor would therefore have to bear the additional cost of the boiler themselves as eaga could refuse to pay for it. This has happened. It wouldn't affect you but it would upset the installer mightily.

BTW: The control improvements would void the WarmSure warranty and service agreement which lasts two years and always use a Vaillant experienced engineer who replaces any necessary gaskets at service time.

Hope this help.

The working of the scheme are labyrinthine.

BTW: The control improvements would void the WarmSure warranty and service agreement which lasts two years and always use a Vaillant experienced engineer who replaces any necessary gaskets at service time.

Thanks for the info!

I discussed the Vaillant controls with the WF assessor who suggested I discuss/asked the installer to fit them in place of the Honeywell ones when they visit prior to commencing the work.

However, if I purchase and install the Vaillant controls prior to the new boiler being fitted, would this eliminate any potential warranty issue with WarmSure? i.e. The installer would just connect the new boiler up to the "existing" controls?

LN

There are many different contractors, perhaps some would, not all though.

Same with WarmSure; If their service engineer looks at the innards or wiring and can't figure it out a high proportion of them will say not to WF spec. and leave it.

The installing company has to look after it for only a short space of time, 4 weeks I think, then the upkeep is passed over to WarmSure for the duration of the guarantee.

As with every trade, some will go the extra mile and some look for a shortcut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back