UPDATE ON THIS ANYONE HELP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hot water tank in one of my bedrooms which heats the water up for my hot water. It is also supposed to heat radiators up, but doesn't seem to be doing so on a morning. I've got it set on a timer 6.30am until 8.30am then comes on at 12pm for 1 hour then in evenings at 5.30pm til 8.30pm.

I had my radiators on last night just fine but this morning when they were supposed to come on they didn't is this because there was no hot water

Also when I want to have a bath it uses it all up and therefore radiators don't warm up when they're supposed to again I am so fed up with this heating system, it can't be changed either as it's a private rented house and landlord is too tight to pay out the money for a combi boiler which I know can be expensive.

Am I doing something wrong???

Sponsored Links
Depending on what cylinder you have the heating is seperate to the hot water so the fact that you have used all your hot water has nothing to do with the heating unless you are running on a w plan which gives hot water priority. Do you have any valves next to your cylinder?

Sorry but as you can probably tell I haven't got a clue about heating systems. I have taken some pictures for you to look at of what is in the cupboard upstairs -

xbg7ly.jpg

i1xyqd.jpg

2hsakpd.jpg

I have this boiler in cupboard downstairs -

34ret90.jpg

Some more information -

I have a thermostat in my living room it is a Satchwell one, was told by landlord it is for radiators. If I turn it clockwise it will click when it gets to 25 and radiators will come on but only when boiler upstairs is running on timer.

Sponsored Links
All you need is for your landlord to have all the controls checked for correct operation and someone to explain to you how to operate your system.

I have had the system explained to me my landlord told me that the cylinder is for heating hot water which goes to my radiators and for hot water. The thermostat in my living room is to turn the radiators on but will only work if the cylinder upstairs is currently heating water.

EDIT - Ok having another issue here my thermostat in living room is switched off but radiators are warm.

You have a problem with your motorised valve then.(the grey plastic box) get the landlord to sort it.

I think you might have a problem with your landlord, he knows no more about your system than you.

Obviously.

He is not bothering to get back to me about it.

I'll have a go at explaining how your system should work.

Whilst you haven't posted a picture of your timer, I would guess that on it, you can select either Central Heating or Hot Water to be ON, OFF or TIMED. If selecting TIMED, you can then further select when in each day the boiler operates.

When the timer instructs the boiler to come on, it will heat water which is sent to the motorised valve (the grey box on the left of your first picture.

The motorised valve, acting on instructions from your timer, then sends the hot water either to the radiators, or your hot water cylinder, or both, depending on the settings you have made on your timer.

If heating your domestic hot water, it's important to note that the boiler's heated water is NOT the hot water that appears at your taps - the boiler's water is passed through a coil - or heat exchanger - inside your HW cylinder, which heats the water stored in the cylinder, and will eventually be drawn off from your taps.

The temperature of your stored hot water is governed by a thermostat (box with dial strapped to lower part of cylinder).

The Satchwell thermostat in your living room will sense when the living room reaches the temperature you have set on the thermostat, and will then instruct the motorised valve to stop sending boiler-heated water to the radiators.

This last aspect seems to be giving you a problem as per your last post - sounds like the motorised valve is playing up. Your landlord should employ a plumber/heating engineer to sort this out for you.

Sorry for the length of this reply - hope it helps

I'll have a go at explaining how your system should work.

Whilst you haven't posted a picture of your timer, I would guess that on it, you can select either Central Heating or Hot Water to be ON, OFF or TIMED. If selecting TIMED, you can then further select when in each day the boiler operates.

When the timer instructs the boiler to come on, it will heat water which is sent to the motorised valve (the grey box on the left of your first picture.

The motorised valve, acting on instructions from your timer, then sends the hot water either to the radiators, or your hot water cylinder, or both, depending on the settings you have made on your timer.

If heating your domestic hot water, it's important to note that the boiler's heated water is NOT the hot water that appears at your taps - the boiler's water is passed through a coil - or heat exchanger - inside your HW cylinder, which heats the water stored in the cylinder, and will eventually be drawn off from your taps.

The temperature of your stored hot water is governed by a thermostat (box with dial strapped to lower part of cylinder).

The Satchwell thermostat in your living room will sense when the living room reaches the temperature you have set on the thermostat, and will then instruct the motorised valve to stop sending boiler-heated water to the radiators.

This last aspect seems to be giving you a problem as per your last post - sounds like the motorised valve is playing up. Your landlord should employ a plumber/heating engineer to sort this out for you.

Sorry for the length of this reply - hope it helps

Thank you very much for your helpful post, I understand what you are saying. The timer I have is a SELECT 107 XL SUNVIC.

I have the box and instructions here with me now and although you say that I can choose for the water to be sent to the radiators or cylinder there is no option on this timer.

It will also depend if the valve is working correctly, looks like a Sunvic valve and they are notorious for failing after a few years...... :cry:

I have looked on page 2 of the manual and can see it says 'SELECTING OPERATING MODE
The Heating and Hot water mode select buttons are used to set the operating mode for CENTRAL HEATING
and HOT WATER respectively.' Obviously I have a timer set using the program and cannot see on the timer an option for just central heating or just hot water.

My partner is now telling me that if it was on all day we wouldn't be having this problem.

I think that you need to work through the instructions on Page 2 of the manual, setting the times when you'd like your Central Heating and Hot Water on, day by day. When you've finished programming, press Run.

If the system then does not come on and switch off as you'd like, this points to a failure of your motorised valve, which your landlord should deal with for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back