UPDATE ON THIS ANYONE HELP?

Does this timer not have a boost, or advance button for hot water and rads?

If so, to check the motorised valve, with the timer, heating, hot water off... Select boost for the hot water, the pipe to the right of that valve ONLY should get hot.

Then switch off, let it cool, then select heating, the pipe to the left of that valve ONLY should get hot.

Then select both heating and hot water, both pipes left and right should get hot.

Sponsored Links
The timer you have is only a single channel model so I would think that it would be wired so it turns on the boiler at the times set, and then you have to control your heating and hot water with the thermostats.

This timer will not give individual control of CH & DHW They will both come on and go off together.

So I would suggest the following set up.

1, Set the timer to come on 3/4 hour before you get up in the morning,

2, Set the thermostat on the hot water cylinder to 60 degrees C.

3, set the room thermostat to 20 degrees C.

This will give you a full tank of hot water when you get up and the house will be nice and warm.

If you both go out to work time the heating and hot water to go off 1/2 hour before the last person goes to work

4,Set the afternoon time so it comes on 1/2 before the first person gets home, This will give you a warm house and a tank full of hot water when you arrive home.

5, set the off time 1 hour before you go to bed.

You will find that the house will stay warm enough the last hour before you go to bed. and this will save you on the gas bill.

In summer turn the room thermostat down to zero so the heating does not come on.

To test that the system is working correctly carry out the following:

1, start with the system cold.
2, set the DHW stat to 60 deg.
3, set the room stat to zero,
4, set the timer to the on position
5, the the boiler should fire up,
6, the pipe between the three port valve an the DHW cylinder should get hot
7, this will show that the system is heating the hot water,
8, now turn the room stat up to just past the position where it clicks.
9, the pipe to the left of the 3 port valve should now be getting hot and the radiators will start to warm up.

If the above does not happen post back and tell us what does happen we can then advise on what is wrong with the system.

The 3 port valve is the gray box above the round red item which is the pump.

David

Thanks Dave, yes the timer must be single channel because I cannot find controls anywhere to individually control CH & HW.

My landlord is finally coming to check it today, I will see what happens when he looks at it first and inform what he says.

Thanks Lyndsy

Hi again,

Just an update my landlord has been to check he says that it is a slow warm up system. He messed around with it for a bit checked if the pump was working (it was) the pipes were warming up radiators were coming on slowly.

Yesterday evening heating was on not fully but were on. Tried to have a bath water was running warm but went cold when bath was only half full, radiators went cold also.

Left room thermostat at just past 20 last night radiators were warmer this morning, now this evening tried bath it ran hotter and filled the bath without going cold. Timer came on at 5.00pm, room thermostat at zero at 6.30pm I put thermostat up to 20 radiators were not coming on went upstairs to check pipes they were all cold but could hear tank pumping.

Turned timer to the OFF mode and room thermostat to 0 then pressed +1HR pump fired up but motorised valve started to make a clicking sound which it wasn't doing before.. switched mode back to AUTO motorised valve stopped clicking but can still hear pump.

EDIT - Ok just been back up pipes were warming up so put room thermostat back to 20 and once I did that motorised valve started clicking and pipes are now cold.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

Just an update my landlord has been to check he says that it is a slow warm up system. He messed around with it for a bit checked if the pump was working (it was) the pipes were warming up radiators were coming on slowly.

Yesterday evening heating was on not fully but were on. Tried to have a bath water was running warm but went cold when bath was only half full, radiators went cold also.

Left room thermostat at just past 20 last night radiators were warmer this morning, now this evening tried bath it ran hotter and filled the bath without going cold. Timer came on at 5.00pm, room thermostat at zero at 6.30pm I put thermostat up to 20 radiators were not coming on went upstairs to check pipes they were all cold but could hear tank pumping.

Turned timer to the OFF mode and room thermostat to 0 then pressed +1HR pump fired up but motorised valve started to make a clicking sound which it wasn't doing before.. switched mode back to AUTO motorised valve stopped clicking but can still hear pump.

EDIT - Ok just been back up pipes were warming up so put room thermostat back to 20 and once I did that motorised valve started clicking and pipes are now cold.

Landlord been this morning and turned heat up on boiler downstairs.

Thanks

In layman's terms:

The big orange thing produces your hot water for taps, showers etc.
The big white metal box heats water to heat the big orange thing and the radiators. The red thing circulates hot water from big white box through big oange thing and radiators, then back to white box.

Grey thing (and attached valve) is instructed by programmer (no picture yet) to heat water in big orange thing on its own or orange thing and radiators together.

No water heated within the big orange thing should go to your radiators, so radiator temperatures are in no way influenced by the temperature of the water in the big orange thing.
Hot water in radiators comes from white box, pushed through grey box and radiators valve by red pump and then back to white box to be reheated.

In layman's terms:

The big orange thing produces your hot water for taps, showers etc.
The big white metal box heats water to heat the big orange thing and the radiators. The red thing circulates hot water from big white box through big oange thing and radiators, then back to white box.

Grey thing (and attached valve) is instructed by programmer (no picture yet) to heat water in big orange thing on its own or orange thing and radiators together.

No water heated within the big orange thing should go to your radiators, so radiator temperatures are in no way influenced by the temperature of the water in the big orange thing.
Hot water in radiators comes from white box, pushed through grey box and radiators valve by red pump and then back to white box to be reheated.
That's the outcome of a 3 week course you've just described :LOL: :LOL: You're giving away trade secrets!

Has he converted from merchant to installer on that three week course?

OP i think you have 3 probs, 1st it's the wrong timer fitted to the system that one is only suitable for a combi boiler which you don't have, 2nd i think you have a faulty valve (grey box), 3rd a landlord that is full of s..t there is no such thing as a slow warm up system, if i were to take a guess (when he was just there) he has messed about with the grey box trying to get it to work & as he couldn't so just left it set on manual & said to you "look it's working" except that as soon as the times kicked in in the morn it would go back to auto so thats why his fix didn't work, time for him to put his hand in his pocket & get someone in & change the time clock & the grey box

I don't think the timer is wrong as just had a look in box and there is a installation diagram of three different systems a combi boiler, 3 port control set and 2 port control set.

Landlord didn't touch the grey box, he only checked to see if pump was working, checked the boiler downstairs and checked air lock he also had me putting the timer on constant for a couple of hours to see how hot it was getting. After nearly 2 hours radiators were only warm a little and pipe to central heating was slightly warm, pipe to hot water hardly warm.

He then came back turned the heat up on boiler downstairs, which since doing this I've noticed it's got louder when heating up (loud humming noise). He is sending plumber out on Monday which I am hoping he knows what he is doing because landlord told me it was one of his plumbers that told him it was a slow warm up!!

rotfl3.gif

Oh dear...

I wouldn't' be holding my breath. Sounds like your whole system needs a major dose of TLC.

It is just beyond ridiculous now, he has even given me some fan heaters and an electric radiator but it's not really the point I want my heating sorting out just seems to be trying not to spend any money with it coming up to Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back