Upstairs light not working... (pictures attached)

Well that hasnt worked either how frustrating thought it was surely something and nothing...i haven't yet tried a new lamp holder could that be worth replacing to test?
Take out a bulb you know works and put this inside your lamp holder not currently working (and the lamp inside the one currently not working inside the one you've removed) this will test the lamp is ok or no.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

Sponsored Links
That's confused me sound like that will only test the bulb...how about I take a working lamp holder and bulb from another room and put into the not working room.

Here is a picture of the Rose in each other upstairs room in relation to your previous post about checking if there any discrepancies you can see let me know!

Attachments

• 1 bathroom.jpg
    1 bathroom.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 1 bedroom1.jpg
    1 bedroom1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 1 bedroom2.jpg
    1 bedroom2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 236
  • 1 hallway.jpg
    1 hallway.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 210
You could try swapping the lampholder with another. May as well at this point, sounds like every other possibility has been eliminated. Unless you have other lights not working you've not realised then there could be another issue elsewhere

The wiring in all of those photos is very poorly installed. I would recommend calling an electrician to tidy all the connections and to make them properly. Jamming old ceiling roses into decorative fittings is not the way to go. You may even find your faulty light works after.

Sponsored Links
In your 1 bathroom.jpg picture, it looks to me like someone has retained the original rose & pendant flex inside the replacement (metal) fitting - please check that the earth (CPC) has also been connected.

I don't think it has.

:eek:

I also note that in the rose pictured on your first post (the faulty light), the pendant flex wires are routed on the wrong side of the circuit wires.

Last edited:
Well spotted! I've also just noticed that someone has disconnected all the wires to the old rose, poked them through the base of the new fitting, and then wired the old rose back on! Madness!

As you haven't got a multimeter, then a simple electrical screwdriver from screwfix would show you that you've got a live feed. As the ceiling rose in question only has two live wires in it, that tells you it's the last one on the circuit, so if you don't have a live feed on those two wires, then the problem lies between that rose, and the previous one. Assuming you have a live feed, then switch the light on, and check if you've got a live feed coming back from the switch.

The problem could lie in the hallway rose. You should have three live wires, and three neutrals, but there seems to be a neutral (or switched live missing), and there shouldn't be a red wire (which denotes live) in the live feed block to the light pendant.

Another vote here for someone to tidy up those disgusting connections behind those fancy fittings.

At the light that doesn't work - one cable goes to the switch, the other cable goes somewhere else.

The cable that goes somewhere else probably goes to another light in another room or a junction box.

If you have access above, see if you can trace where that cable goes, and check if the connections are sound.

Work safely, make sure the power is completely off.

Again, would advise getting those appalling connections behind the lights tidied up.

The problem could lie in the hallway rose. You should have three live wires, and three neutrals, but there seems to be a neutral (or switched live missing), and there shouldn't be a red wire (which denotes live) in the live feed block to the light pendant.

What about a twin red T+E cable?

That appears to me to be a single+earth acting as the switch live, the switch is probably borrowing it's p.live from another switch (hopefully not from the upstairs circuit!)

As this isn't the last point on the circuit, if the problem was elsewhere, the lights in the circuit after it would have stopped working.

It is the last light on the circuit!

So the OP needs to look at the other lights on that level to see if the N or L loop has gone O/C at the previous fitting.

ok for everyone concerned i have tidied the 2 decorative light connections myself. now connection in all terminals are tight, tidy and secure but light is still not coming on...although i have yet changed that lamp holder to see if its that i will do that tomorrow moring. Pictures attached of tidying up ive done with the other 2 lights mentioned.

Attachments

• bathroom fix.jpg
    bathroom fix.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 212
  • hall fix.jpg
    hall fix.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 210
Much better.

BUT in the second picture, the metal light fitting hasn't been earthed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back