Upstairs light not working... (pictures attached)

Much better.

BUT in the second picture, the metal light fitting hasn't been earthed...

lol i will open it up again tomorrow come away from it now its doing my head in! all light working apart from original fault.

Sponsored Links
well i put L1 into com to check and still nothing but might try a complete new rose, lamp holder and switch tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
i might go and get one tomorrow can you pick one up cheap from crew fix, i have no idea what im looking for on a meter though never used one

They're far better to use than those choc fittings especially on ladders high up though if you're not fussed then not to worry

They're far better to use than those choc fittings especially on ladders high up though if you're not fussed then not to worry

Oh right i see, thank you. Hopefully wont be doing this too many times again ha.

UPDATE - Ok after replacing the rose with choc blocks inside the hallway seem i have messed something up. The bedroom (bedroom3) i originally posted about now works but when switch on turns the light on in bedroom1 (dim). This process also vice versa. The Bathroom is working nomally but hall doesnt come on unless bedroom is on. Just to confirm i have not changed anything on bedoom1 or bedroom2, bedroom3 is the room that this ppost is all about and the bathroom and hallway are what i put choc blocks in rather than the rose being inside the decorative fitting.

Luckily i pictured all of them (posted on here). I presumed all fitting in the centre terminals on a ceiling rose can all be put in the same choc, is this not the case? If i was right thinking that then i may just have got something mixed up il double check it tomorrow but all before and after pics are on this post if somebody can sport something. Wow thought id done well tidying up those connections maybe not o_O

No no no no no.

I won't (necessarily).

Well that was an informative comment. If the OP has admitted that he can't use a multimeter, then what do you suggest will help him (apart from an electrician) solve the problems.

Well that was an informative comment.

And yours, though well-intentioned, was a dangerous one.

Those screwdrivers can be lethal, in more ways than one.

The multimeter link was posted along with instructions.

It is not awkward to set up the multimeter for voltage detection or continuity to make some checks on the wiring.

The multimeter link was posted along with instructions.

I'll agree that those screwdrivers can be misleading in their results, but if you look at the so called instructions, they say nothing about how to actually use a multimeter in a diagnostic manner; all they're doing is explaining the points of the meter, and sticking meter probes in the wrong place can be even more dangerous than the screwdrivers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back