Urgent, no electricity

would have helped if the installer left the instructions or showed you before he left, he stuck all them labels on but not the ones that say ON and OFF.

Sponsored Links
Well Contactum's in receivership so (I thought) no more technicolour dollys :)

BUT

their website says they are trading again. :cry:

Cheapo cr@p anyway. But it looks like their RCD tripped OK!

we turned everything back on

What made you think you needed to? As it is in the photo, everything is off because the mainswitch is off!

Clue: The rule is, if its pointing DOWN and GREEN its OFF. This is why you have no power.

Generally when something trips, only the one switch will be off.

PS. lovin the cheap and tacky technicolour rockers which actually mean nothing when theres a mix of old and new breakers.
For large switches or isolators down is always off. This is so anything falling on the switch will switch it off rather than on and so fail safe.

However smaller switches tend to be arranged the other way around and down is on.

Seimens one of the major manufactures of MCB and RCBO have the RCBO switch opposite to MCB in the same board which is very confusing and dangerous as far too easy to switch on rather than off.

I also like the technicolour switches they ring alarm bells to me in consumer units as these are type tested and should only have MCB and RBCO of same make as box. Of course with a distribution unit one can often mix and match and the difference between between the two is often missed even with Electricians. However to be fair that make did go into receivership for a time so the guy may have had no option but to mix and match.

Sponsored Links
No, nothing like this has ever happened to me before. Just because you know something doesn't mean others know it too.

your not the first.

I got called to a shop where the whole road had no power.
The manager see all the switches up, so he pushed them all down but still no power.
He then realised all the road was off so waited for the LEB to fix it.
After 4 hours he chased up the LEB and was told the power was back on 3 hours before.
He then called us out, showed us the board which was all down and admitted he pushed them down as he thought that was on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back