USB-C Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a USB power socket with a USB and USB-C socket. The design doesn’t matter as it’s tucked away.

It does need to fit into a 25mm back box though.

Would this work and do you have a recommendation for this please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I want to replace a USB power socket with a USB and USB-C socket. The design doesn’t matter as it’s tucked away.

You can buy USB-C sockets, but they are usually found on the device, not as a charge output socket. Even you bought the socket, what then - they surface mount on a pcb, designed for the job, and fitting one involves micro-soldering. The obvious solution is a USB to USB-C charging lead.

It does need to fit into a 25mm back box though.
Both MK and Lap suggest their USB C sockets fit into a 25mm back box, but if it's tucked away, you could use a socket spacer, or a surface mount box, to give yourself a bit more room.

The first thing you need to think about is what you will be using this socket for. Not all USB C sockets are the same, not by a long way.

If you just want a USB C socket because phones nowadays are shipping with C-C cables instead of A-C cables that is one thing. If you want to charge laptops that is quite another.

Sponsored Links
I'm reading this as if OP doesn't want a 13A socket, IE something like this first google hit:
1697011057824.png

Thanks for the responses. I was after something along the lines of what @RandomGrinch has posted. At the moment I have a double 13 amp socket with two USB ports.

I am after 1 USB and 1 USB-C on the replacement double socket as I have noticed that my iPhone charges much faster when I am using the USB-C lead on my laptop (USB-C on laptop end and lightning connector on the other) - compared to the USB lead. I have also read that phones are moving to USB-C leads. This will provide some future proofing.

I may be naïve about the above but hoping that you can put me on the straight-and-narrow.

The one that Sunray has linked looks like it's solely a 5V supply, the faster USB-C charging speeds rely on it negotiating higher voltages such as 9V or 12V which I don't believe I've seen in a socket type format, only normal plug-in chargers.

The one that Sunray has linked looks like it's solely a 5V supply, the faster USB-C charging speeds rely on it negotiating higher voltages such as 9V or 12V which I don't believe I've seen in a socket type format, only normal plug-in chargers.
I thought the whole point of USB was standardisation at 5V... but Heyho the great thing about standards is there are no standards.

I thought the whole point of USB was standardisation at 5V... but Heyho the great thing about standards is there are no standards.
Well, standardisation is still the goal, but the USB connector needs to be able to deliver enough power to run, for example, a laptop. The pins of the Type-C connector, with the best will in the world, will not carry more than around 2.5A each, and 2 are used for VBUS, so allowing a max of 5A. To be able to get up to 240W through the connector, up to 48V is needed.
The default voltage is still 5V, so nothing is broken, but if the source and the sink can negotiate (using Power Delivery protocol) a higher voltage, then they will. Standard voltages of 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 36V and 48V are possible. The latest spec version also allows any voltage between 15V and 48V in steps of 0.1V to be negotiated.

Well, standardisation is still the goal, but the USB connector needs to be able to deliver enough power to run, for example, a laptop. The pins of the Type-C connector, with the best will in the world, will not carry more than around 2.5A each, and 2 are used for VBUS, so allowing a max of 5A. To be able to get up to 240W through the connector, up to 48V is needed.
The default voltage is still 5V, so nothing is broken, but if the source and the sink can negotiate (using Power Delivery protocol) a higher voltage, then they will. Standard voltages of 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 36V and 48V are possible. The latest spec version also allows any voltage between 15V and 48V in steps of 0.1V to be negotiated.
Absolutely brilliant...
So the splitter leads/boxes I have will negotiate 48 volts for one item and stuff that up the item that can't handle a higher voltage... wonderful stuff.

Absolutely brilliant...
So the splitter leads/boxes I have will negotiate 48 volts for one item and stuff that up the item that can't handle a higher voltage... wonderful stuff.
Well, that's why USB is a point to point system and 'splitter leads' are not allowed by the standard; which is what you said you wanted to follow.

I am after 1 USB and 1 USB-C on the replacement double socket as I have noticed that my iPhone charges much faster when I am using the USB-C lead on my laptop (USB-C on laptop end and lightning connector on the other) - compared to the USB lead. I have also read that phones are moving to USB-C leads. This will provide some future proofing.

All of the USB-C charging socket items, which I have come across, charge perfectly well and fast, via a normal USB to USB-C cable. What I understand causes the limitation, is the power source itself, rather than the plug/sockets. Plug into a 1amp rated socket, you get 1amp max. Plug into a 2amp, and you get a max of 2amp. Both dependent on what the item being charged, actually needs.

Well, that's why USB is a point to point system and 'splitter leads' are not allowed by the standard; which is what you said you wanted to follow.
I'd better inform MK they are breaking the rules then...

Absolutely brilliant...

No it doesn't work that way. The charger, assuming that it has PD (Power Delivery), will provide 5v for devices that can only accept 5v. For never phones that support super fast charging, the voltage will increase and drop back when the battery reports that it is getting warm, and then the voltage increases again once the battery cools down

My laptop needs a higher voltage, which can be supplied by the same charger.

The caveat however is that not all USB-C cables are capable of dealing with the higher voltages.

Personally, I would not want wall sockets with USB unless they are powering items that are seldomly unplugged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back