USB sockets issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, replaced socket with USB A/USB C version.

The USB A is not powering certain things its predecessor did (5V 1A USB). Sometimes powers up for a couple of seconds then immediately disconnects. Have tried multiple cables with same issue. Are there different types of Micro USB cables for different/more powerful sockets?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
What device are you charging?
Your usb socket can deliver up to 15 watts (assuming 5volts if its a phone that your charging) thats enough for a normal phone but for a powerful phone some may require up to 60W

What device are you charging?
Your usb socket can deliver up to 15 watts (assuming 5volts if its a phone that your charging) thats enough for a normal phone but for a powerful phone some may require up to 60W
Hi, it’s a wireless charger and various other devices that worked on a previous socket that was labelled 5V - 1A

Sponsored Links
Are there different types of Micro USB cables

You don't have micro USB ports.

You have USB-A and USB-C ports.

As an aside, I recently purchased a 60w USB charger, I asked the guy for a 60w USB-C to USB-C cable, he insisted that they are all compliant. He is an idiot. I ended up paying for a 45w lead and got him to knock 25% off.

Getting back to your post, can you provide a link to the wall plate?

I asked the guy for a 60w USB-C to USB-C cable
Well; a Type-C cable can be
- 3A at up to 20V
- 5A at up to 20V, or
- 5A at up to 50V

They don't come by the Wattage as they don't know what voltage you are going to use.

Getting back to your post, can you provide a link to the wall plate?

Are you using both the USB-A and C ports at the same time?

Your socket can only supply a max of 3 amps- if you have a more demanding item plugged in to the USB-C, it may, or may not,knock out the USB-A.

If not, it may be faulty. I am only guessing though.

The specs listed in the Q&A section say

USB A Output - Output power:- 27W Max
Output:- 5V/3A; 9V/3A; 12V/2.25A

It might be advisable to email the maker

Are you using both the USB-A and C ports at the same time?

Your socket can only supply a max of 3 amps- if you have a more demanding item plugged in to the USB-C, it may, or may not,knock out the USB-A.

If not, it may be faulty. I am only guessing though.

The specs listed in the Q&A section say

It might be advisable to email the maker

Thanks. I have tried a USBA - Micro USB cable that is marked ‘charging’ rather than ‘charging and sync’ and that one works - although temperamental when a USBC is also plugged in.

So what kind of cable could possibly be described as 45W?
Selling a cable as 60W to someone with only a 5V supply would be fraud.

Surely they are simply saying that the cable is rated at up to 60W?

Chargers are rated in terms of wattage.

The manufacturer has no way of knowing what voltage the connected device will need.

Surely they are simply saying that the cable is rated at up to 60W?
You said you bought a 45W cable. What can that possibly mean? Using your method of describing Type-C cables, the only possibilities would be 60W, 100W or 240W. So any cable could transfer 60W. Even one without a cable marker chip.

Hi, replaced socket with USB A/USB C version.

The USB A is not powering certain things its predecessor did (5V 1A USB). Sometimes powers up for a couple of seconds then immediately disconnects. Have tried multiple cables with same issue. Are there different types of Micro USB cables for different/more powerful sockets?
You (and everyone) should be equipped with a basic "USB Tester"
to measure the
Supplied Voltage
and
Current being Drawn.

These will indicate if the voltage supplied is within "Range" (of 5 V - PLUS a little bit more.)
and the Current drawn, which should drop to around Zero at the end of charge.

It is important to test any NEW or "FOREIGN" supply before using it.
(I once had a 12 V to 5 V USB "Car supply" where, out of the box, the "5 V" output swung between 5 V an 12 V, which ruined the USB powered equipment connected to it.)

They can also indicate loose connections - by Voltage Drop-Outs, when "wiggling" cables/connections.

(See https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...usb+tester&_sacat=0&_odkw=usb+meter&_osacat=0 )

I prefer devices with supply leads which allow the device to be read no matter how the USB outlet is located.
(such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27568685...7ysiJJ3i5QL0Jt+5xIAATlUw==|tkp:Bk9SR5r10ry6Yw )

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You said you bought a 45W cable. What can that possibly mean? Using your method of describing Type-C cables, the only possibilities would be 60W, 100W or 240W. So any cable could transfer 60W. Even one without a cable marker chip.
I think he meant the max wattage the plug can supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back