USB-C Socket

Unless the MK source is provided with D+ and D- and a PD Engine then what you are imagining just can't happen.
Having done a 'big Clive' on a failed socket listed by MK as fast charging and found both outlest were simply multipled together then surely they must have data connectivity.

Which takes me straight back to one device negotiating a higher voltage and the other device being bu****ed. If fact thinking about it; that could have been the problem where it was assumed the failed phone overloaded the socket and it could have been the opposite.

Sponsored Links
Having done a 'big Clive' on a failed socket listed by MK as fast charging
The definition of "fast charging", is technically I believe, anything greater than 9W of power delivery.
A USB charger outputting 5V @2A would class as a "Fast Charger", without any of the voltage negotiation of the USB-C power delivery standards.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant...
So the splitter leads/boxes I have will negotiate 48 volts for one item and stuff that up the item that can't handle a higher voltage... wonderful stuff.
If you're breaking out USB-C power you can buy decoy boards that have a negotiation chip on to request the desired voltage which is then just wired onto the output in the usual way, first one I could find on eBay is:

But there's loads of them around

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Having done a 'big Clive' on a failed socket listed by MK as fast charging and found both outlest were simply multipled together then surely they must have data connectivity.
I VERY much doubt that the socket in question implemented PD. This requires a complex serial protocol on the data lines. The systems that the wall socket people call fast charging is a combination of different vendors' systems using different value resistors and promoted by irresponsible vendors, plus a load of chinese vendors. The official USB-IF 'Fast Charging' is an option protocol added to the Power Delivery protocol which was developed jointly by the USB-IF and the Chinese regulatory authorities.
I believe that raised voltage is the result of at least one of the non-USB schemes so you could be right. It would be a totally flawed implementation by MK is so, and nothing to do with the official spec.
I have never seen the official USB compliance logo on any of these sockets so they are all to be avoided. I would certainly never go near one, as I prefer not to burn my house down.

Sponsored Links
It would be a totally flawed implementation by MK is so
Every MK USB socket I have seen has only provided 5V, at a maximum of 3A.
I doubt MK have done anything wrong!

Attachments

• MK-USB-Charging-Solutions-brochure_UKMK446-0321-EN.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
Every MK USB socket I have seen has only provided 5V, at a maximum of 3A.
I doubt MK have done anything wrong!
To be fair, their Type-C receptacle is advertising 3A via its Rp resistor, and the Type-A receptacle is advertising 1.5A by shorting its data lines together. But because they are using a common 3A power supply, plugging in a second device can reduce the current available at the other receptacle and therefore reduce the 5V. This is certainly not within the spirit of the Type-C spec. I would have to read in very carefully to see whether there is a get-out for this behaviour.

BG do a double socket with integrated 30W PD. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG822UAC30.html, should be enough to fast charge virtually any phone or tablet and may be borderline adequate for some laptops.

I think that is the best you can do for a charger squeezed into the middle of a double socket, if you want more than that then you will have to move to other form factors. Knightsbridge seem to do a 45W charger in a square Euro-module format.

I want to replace a USB power socket with a USB and USB-C socket. The design doesn’t matter as it’s tucked away.

It does need to fit into a 25mm back box though.

Would this work and do you have a recommendation for this please?

Thanks in advance.
If it is tucked away, could you use a spacer if needed?
I bought a Schneider double with 2 x USB A and had to use a spacer between the 25mm backbox and socket.

I recently looked into these sockets and decided to not get any. The USB ports are perma-on and will wear out even if you don't use them. Instead I will get the plug-in types. If you don't plug them in, they don't wear.

I thought the whole point of USB was standardisation at 5V... but Heyho the great thing about standards is there are no standards.

standards_2x.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back