USB sockets issue

Sponsored Links
You said you bought a 45W cable. What can that possibly mean? Using your method of describing Type-C cables, the only possibilities would be 60W, 100W or 240W. So any cable could transfer 60W. Even one without a cable marker chip.

Sorry, I do not understand the point that you are making.

I purchased a (up to) 60W charger, I wanted a USB lead capable of a (continuous) max load of 60W (just incase I wanted to charge something that needed the max wattage).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I asked the guy for a 60w USB-C to USB-C cable, he insisted that they are all compliant. He is an idiot.
All USB Type-C Cables are at least 3A and at least 20V so by your definition 60W, so the man was not an idiot
I ended up paying for a 45w lead and got him to knock 25% off.
There is no such thing.
You said you bought a 45W cable. What can that possibly mean?
As above.

All USB Type-C Cables are at least 3A and at least 20V so by your definition 60W, so the man was not an idiot

There is no such thing.

As above.

The box that the lead was in said that it was rated at a maximum of 45W.

I have since seen some sites that say that all USB-C leads are rated at 60W (min), and others that say otherwise.

I followed the specification printed on the box by the manufacturer. Why would the manufacturer lie and down play the specification?

IMO, the guy was indeed an idiot because he assumed that all USB-C cables are rated equally (with respect to wattage)- TBF, the term idiot is a bit harsh but a PC/phone repair store that sells peripherals should know better.

The box that the lead was in said that it was rated at a maximum of 45W.
As one of the authors of the PD Specification, I would be interested to see a picture of this box.
I have since seen some sites that say that all USB-C leads are rated at 60W (min), and others that say otherwise.
I can assure you that a cable that states that it will convey less than 60W (at 20V of course) does not meet its specification, and should not be considered for purchase.
I followed the specification printed on the box by the manufacturer. Why would the manufacturer lie and down play the specification?
Because they are manufacturing goods that do not meet the specification and should not be on sale?
IMO, the guy was indeed an idiot because he assumed that all USB-C cables are rated equally (with respect to wattage)- TBF, the term idiot is a bit harsh but a PC/phone repair store that sells peripherals should know better.
Well, he was correct in stating that all Type-C cables that meet the specification must be capable of carrying 60W (provided the voltage is 20V).

Well, he was correct in stating that all Type-C cables that meet the specification must be capable of carrying 60W (provided the voltage is 20V).

Again, I don't understand where you are going with this.

Nor do I understand why you are doing so.

The guy did not realise that USB-C cables have different (max) wattage ratings. I asked for a cable rated at the same wattage (60W) as the charger (60W) that I had purchased. He handed me a cable- I pointed to the text on the box that said that it was rated at 45W. He gave me a discount because the spec did not match the charger's spec.

And, no, I don't have a photo to hand. When I showed him the text on the box, he agreed and gave me the discount.

I am happy to link to the store, you can then take it up with them, because I really can't be bothered.

Last edited:
I recently installed one of those sockets - exact same BG model - and the USB-C port didn't work at all at the start, then on a second try worked for a second or two then went dead again (nothing connected to the other USB port on any occasion). Returned it as faulty and the replacement worked fine. May be the issue here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back