Using a disused circuit to wire up sockets in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to gut and replace the kitchen early in the new year. At the moment there is just two double sockets on there, 1 of the ring main and other via what used to be old cooker outlet.

There is another circuit which used to to the immersion heater in the bathroom. The cable goes to a junction box and then is simply unused from there. My plan is to fit a 13 amp RCD FCU to this and then use a 2.5mm cable to feed two extra double sockets. They will feed portable appliances and the clock for the gas cooker.

Other than the fact as a DIYer I can only do basic testing are there any other issues with this?

Sponsored Links
Other than the fact as a DIYer I can only do basic testing are there any other issues with this?
Other than that fact and providing cables are installed within permitted safe zones and basic common sense on location of sockets, sounds okay as a DIY task.

Sponsored Links
If it was an immersion heater it will probably only have a 20A MCB in place, therefore no FCU required. RCD protection required as posted by PBoD. If you do not have a RCD governed circuit then RCBO will be needed; if rewireable fuses, forget it until you have a new board.

That is that is the issue, I have am bit drunk now but still can think logically. The fuse board is a 1980 wylex standard, but I believe this circuit is mid 70's as I was told the electrician told my parents it was a PCV and did not need rewiring. Although that wiring has been in place since 1980 the cable to point I want to modify is not RCB protected and it is burried under plaster etc. E.g it does not meet current regulations. Does that mean I cannot touch it?

I keep trying to persuade my parents to get the wiring checked out but in their eyes it works fine so why touch it. My only concern in getting the electrics checked is if the electrican looks at the stuff I have done and embarrasses me. Although the only thing I have done that is none compliant is run low voltage alarm cables under a disused door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back