Using a second hand kitchen - a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're looking at replacing our kitchen, but due to the cost of a new one being prohibitive for us at the moment, we're looking into re-using a second hand kitchen.

So firstly - is this a good idea?

Secondly - we've found one that looks quite good for us on ebay. There should be enough units. etc. However, what I'm not sure of from the pictures is whether the units will come apart like 'standard' kitchen units do (and can therefore be re-configured), or whether it is custom made and several units are attached permanently. Can anybody more enlightened than me tell from the pictures? The link is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditional-Solid-Wood-Kitchen-Units-/191646058517?

Many thanks in advance.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I don't think they will be attached "permanently" but the fitters may well have used means other than the usual screw-through bolts etc...

I often find these kind of kitchens put together with panel pins, glue and silicone in addition to screws!

Surely this is far more likely to be MDF than solid wood. I think even high end makers such as Smallbone use MDF unless it should be natural wood on display, even then they may use ply when appropriate.

I agree. It is probably only the visible parts (with doors shut) that are real wood.

The drawers look like real wood.
The shelf is definitely ply and you cannot have 900 x 500? (hxd) unit sides made of one piece of real wood.

Sponsored Links
if you cant get spares you will have allow for 20-30% waste even more if theres cut outs in the units for pillars ect

First off, do you realise you will have to collect yourself?

Also it is in Maidenhead so unless you live fairly local it could be more expensive that you anticipate.
Finally although it shows a lot of 'units' do you know exactly what units you would be getting for your money? Will it include the wine rack unit and the worktops, sink and taps etc?

Thanks for your help guys.

In answer to your question Conny - I think it includes all the units in the kitchen plus sink and taps (not cooker or fridge). We would however, need to be able to use most of them to make up our kitchen, so if there would be wastage as you predict big-all, then we might be short. Would it be easy to replace them?

Yes Conny - I realise we need to collect, but we only live 30 miles from Maidenhead.

I'm not particularly bothered what the base units are made of, as long as they are robust, but it is important as to whether or not they come apart!

Thanks again for all of your help!

You may find that although it is 'fitted' the individual units are 'screwed' together using these type of screw & socket fixings.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/inter-screws-m4-pack-of-10/65152

Before parting with your money though, or travelling there, I would find out EXACTLY what you are buying down to the last piece of toe-board, filler plates etc.

if you are actually thinking about "flatpacking "it i would forget it
its difficult enough putting together a new pack with instructions and only one cabinet included
you then have around 100-200 components loose in a pile scratching each other as you move

another thought
will all services be disconnected or will you be responsible for disconnection and reconnection ??
iff you say damage the floor will you be responsible ??
also why are they replacing it if its in good condition ??

The first issue I notice is that the description states:
'The units were originally Buttermilk and have been painted in the Little Greene Portland Stone colour.'

This would suggest to me that the whole kitchen has had a coat or two in situ. In fact, if you look closely at some of the joints between units, you can see that they have been painted over. It also appears that the cornice has been painted whilst attached to the units too. If this is the case, you will find that the paint will have caused everything to be bonded together and that it is very likely to chip and flake, making a lot of patching up work necessary, even if the units can be separated relatively easily.

I would certainly want to go and have a look at the kitchen before making a serious offer, if the seller is willing.

People do replace perfectly good kitchens if it does not suit them. They can be quite wasteful. The woman may want a particular style of kitchen, not always the woman either, I spent a bit on mine as for me the kitchen is important.

Many thanks again for all of your very helpful comments. I've put a question to the seller asking for clarification on some of these issues.

I agree misterhelpful that chipping of the paint is likely to happen. I guess this can be retrospectively fixed up to some degree.

I'm still not sure whether its worth going for. I think that given that new units will cost at least 2k, then it might be worth the risk (and the effort).

Take your time. There will always be another one tomorrow, and the seller will be desperate for someone with a van to take it away.

Solid Wood, on a kitchen, generally means wooden doors and drawer fronts on cabinets made of laminated chipboard. If they are 10 years old or less they are most likely in standard sizes (Ikea are slightly different).

Some of what you buy will be damaged or not fit.

You will probably not be able to get doors and other panels to match, so get a bigger kitchen than you think you want, or get two.

You can get standard sized carcases at reasonable price, but to buy them to order is very expensive. Look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/benjamin-james-kitchens-bedrooms/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= for examples.

if you buy one of the well-known brands you can pick up another similar kitchen and use the carcases.

You will need a van and two people to move all but the smallest cabs without damaging them.

You can get spare legs, hinges, hangers, runners and drawers, but the cost will mount up.

You will be lucky if any of the plinth, cornice or pillars fit in your own kitchen.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a repainted kitchen.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
find out what the kitchen style is called
find out if spare units off the sort you may need are available
then you can work out the consequences
if spares are available then at worse its say buy 5 units and take it from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back