Using Methylene Chloride to strip paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here.

Thought I would ask if anyone has used Methylene Chloride.

It is the active and sometimes fatal chemicle in paint stripper, it was banned in the EU in 2012 so companies like Nitromorse had to reduce or remove it.

I bought some off ebay as I am stripping motorbike frame, but it is liquid and it evaporates instantly when I apply it.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to thicken this up into a paste that can be applied like nitromorse??

Sponsored Links
Well it's about using the correct safety equipment, perhaps these unfortunate men were not aware of the seriousness of the stuff?

Any ideas?

I was thinking flour? haha though maybe not?

Sand blasting is better method to strip paint. And the surface is keyed also.

Sponsored Links
Thing is sandblasting will leave hours and hours of further sanding by hand, I just want to strip paint and buff the steel underneath..
I sandblasted an old bike frame and I spent 5 nights in the garage with wet n dry paper, no thanks... I would rather spend that time on the engine and whatever else.

After sandblasting you don't need to sand.
You just apply the paint.

Sorry I should have said, I am leaving my frame Raw Steel, and applying a heavy clear coat.

So just want to get this paint off..

So any ideas how I can make this Methylene Chloride stick to my meal work like gunky goop?

A wire cup wheel on a small grinder is a good bet also.
You also get small kits to suit drills. A blow torch works well too.

Will the MC actually shift the paint?
Dab some on a cloth and rub the paint hard. Some paint colour should be on the cloth.
If not then I'd use the wire wheels and blow torch.

Also most shiny steel surfaces need an etch primer. As I recall from my car spraying days. It had a yellow hue.

A clear lacquer unto shiny steel will most likely flake off.

If it has been banned then surely you have illegally imported the stuff.

As said earlier, why use it if it can be fatal? Are you some kind of demi-god who is immortal? Surely if you know what precautions these other people should have been using then you should know the composition of the substance and how it must be treated? Most chemicals strongly advise against mixing with other components.

I have a heat gun, but that would only mess the frame up and the welds right?

It's nasty stuff and best avoided. Its highly flammable, burns skin on contact, causes respiratory problems and is linked to infertility. Brake fluid is good for removing paint.

You can get the thickened version on ebay.

If you just intend to coat the frame with lacquer, I'd go for bead blasting, or another softer medium which even uses nut shells.
I think you could have an issue with the lacquer adhering though!
Heat from a heat gun won't affect any welds.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back