Using one alarm to trigger another

You can do it your way , 2 separate panels , the 1 in the garage should at least have a sound-bomb wired in , (whats the point of an alarm if it doesnt make a din!) using the relay method , wire it into a spare zone on the house alarm ,programmed as Fire , then ensure the garage alarm has a shorter ring time than the house alarm.

Relay http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...age=product_info&cPath=36_46&products_id=1575

Sponsored Links
my 2p worth

the best and proper way to do it, is to install a system with the area/ward facility.

Good luck ;)

my 2p worth

the best and proper way to do it, is to install a system with the area/ward facility.

Good luck ;)

Already said that :p

Texecom will sell to public and provide a manual.
Yes it does areas.
Your best choice is the area/warded/group system with two keypads programmed to each area ( texe) rather than mess with two panels.

We really cannot help anymore than we have. If your set on 2 then so be it.

Sponsored Links
We really cannot help anymore than we have. If your set on 2 then so be it.

And I very much appreciate the help, I never said I was set on having 2 panels !

I was however curious on the reasons why that isn't a good idea and now I understand a little more I can see that it will be worth the effort to switch panels. Even looking forward to it in a strange sort of way !

I've already found and printed out a manual for the Premier 48 so that'll be a bit of light reading for the weekend. I do have another question if thats ok ?

Once set up as two different wards/areas, if the garage 'area' is set off I presume you will be able to reset it from the panel in the house 'area' ? Sorry if its a dumb question but though I got to know the 800L panel well this is a whole new kettle of fish !

You can assign a key pad to either area. Or a code to each area. So yes you can indeed.

Sorry if i came across rude there I meant in the assistance of the two panel issue. As we had exausted all possibilities.
By all means ask away on other stuff.

Cheers

No problem I didn't take any offence !

I can see thie Texecom is one serious panel compared to the current one - installation manual of 112 A4 pages vs 15 A5 pages ! :eek:

I'll be back...!

Cheers

:mrgreen:

I told you I'd be back !

I'll ask this here for now anyway though it might be better in a new topic perhaps ?

I have a question re End of Line wiring - this isn't supported in my old/current 800L panel so is new to me, blo*dy clever stuff though and I'm finding this really interesting !

Am I right in thinking that for (re)connecting one of my old PIRs and using the shunt/EOL resistors, I only use 4 wires (1 for the loop, 1 for the power) ?

And only 2 wires to a magnetic contact ?

And that if I have 2 devices on the same zone they now go in series rather than parallel each with their own shunt resistor ?

I've read the 'sticky' and the installation manual for the Premier 48, but would appreciate a bit of clarification.

Thanks again in anticipation !

Correct, well done.

In series with a shunt on each and a EOL on the last device.

Correct, well done.

In series with a shunt on each and a EOL on the last device.

Thanks Alarm. Thinking a bit more about it, by using only two cores for the loop I would then need to connect the two (i.e tamper and trigger) in series in the device (PIR etc).

Not that its a problem but just wondering is that the norm/best practice, or would you use 4 cores (excluding power, if required) and series them up within the panel itself ?

My logic being that more cores used of the 6 core cable then the more difficult it would be to tamper with or bypass - though the panel would be a bit 'messier' ?!?!

Cheers

Your running whislt trying to walk.
If you have double doors then series up the contacts. everything else use the cable already run with just the two pair needed. So of a 6 core use 4. If you series up everything you will not know what zone is what. Nor be able to make entry/walk thru/ final exit zones work correctly.

To your panel question NO NO and NO it is called End Of Line for a reason. The last resiator is on the last device on a seriesed up pair of contacts or the last device anyway. Which is usually just the one.
Your example of making it more difficult is patrially valid in logic, not in practise.
Imagine you have a test meter, how would you access the cable from outside the protected area without triggering an alarm event? How do you know what values of resiator to use? How and where whould you put it without changing the values the panelis looking for? How do you know what colours have actually been used?

Again I can see your reasoning, even if it is incorrrect.

I have seen pro`s do it the way you suggested, still bl**dy wrong :p

Cheers

Only 2 pairs in a 6 core cable, all that wasted copper...! ;)

Never mind running whilst trying to walk, I'm up to a steady jog but I feel a sprint coming on !!!

Thanks for the reality check. It made more sense as soon as I sketched it out on paper. Using more pairs than I need soon looked like spaghetti !

My fault for complicating things I suppose, but I wanted to add a smoke/heat detector in the garage and so needed a free zone - I can only do this by doubling up, and combining the PIRs in the 2 bedrooms into one zone where they currently each have their own.

I know you can get zone extenders but this little project is already going to cost £200+ before I'm finished !

So to stick 2 x PIRs on one zone, I will still need to join 2 wires together in the panel won't I ? Just using some terminal strip ?

Yes, assuming one cable to each PIR. Wire one with a shut across alarm, series thru tamper back to pane. Wire 2nd with alarm and shunt back to panel. Series the pair and one bit of chock ( solder it to be good!).
Wire into zone as EOL. Job done.

As your obviously capable what is it you want in the garage smoke or heat?
Try this puppy http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=638
Does both very stable and will work with your panel.

As for the cost your getting some decent gear (dependant where you buy it) at a reasonable rate. Fitting yourself.
Fully loaded fitted by me your looking at a region of 800-1000 quid.
Also I wont be on here asking someone questions :p
A joke, but the price is about right.

Carry on asking its a pleasure to slap your wrists and assist at the same time. TBH your asking better questions then some spotty youths I have trained :p

Agreed wasted copper in this climate, but what if you build an extension. A cable gets damaged?
Think ahead.

Yes, assuming one cable to each PIR. Wire one with a shut across alarm, series thru tamper back to pane. Wire 2nd with alarm and shunt back to panel. Series the pair and one bit of chock ( solder it to be good!).
Wire into zone as EOL. Job done.

Great, I understand now. I'll probably still balls it up, but at least I'll understand what I'm ballsing up !! lol

As your obviously capable what is it you want in the garage smoke or heat?
Try this puppy http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=638
Does both very stable and will work with your panel.

Capable ? me ? lol I've got you fooled then !!
Funnily enough I'd shortlisted that detector. I'm thinking smoke would be preferable to heat, but then that did both so everyone's a winner (hopefully).
Only problem is that the supplier you've listed is considerably more expensive than where I've priced up the rest of the kit... so.... is this a suitable alternative ?
http://www.brewtime.co.uk/show_book.php?item_number=2537&catid=106&secid=139

As for the cost your getting some decent gear (dependant where you buy it) at a reasonable rate. Fitting yourself.
Fully loaded fitted by me your looking at a region of 800-1000 quid.
Also I wont be on here asking someone questions :p
A joke, but the price is about right.

Fair enough and point taken, its hard though with money tight and in effect replacing a reliable working panel with another, though I appreciate it much more sophisticated and the best way to achieve what I want.

Carry on asking its a pleasure to slap your wrists and assist at the same time. TBH your asking better questions then some spotty youths I have trained :p

I fancy a change in career, I'll let you train me and run your midlands branch... ;) Seriously though I'm learning loads and finding it realy interesting though don't want to outstay me welcome asking so many q's !

Agreed wasted copper in this climate, but what if you build an extension. A cable gets damaged?
Think ahead.

Any damage to my cables and there will be tears running down my cheeks....!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back