vaillant ecotec plus 837 boiler problem

Sponsored Links
Yes very good and reliable as is all the Ecotec Plus range as long as they are fitted and commissione correctly as with all boilers.

What exactly was the problem with the flue? Because I have the same problem at home. Rads seem fine but getting intermittent hot water from the taps? Not cool when you're showering during the middle of winter! My flue seems fine, theres nothing in the way of it etc and no builders or anything like that about so dunno?

Thermistor maybe?

Sorry Danny, I have had the 937 on my mind as I was suggesting one to someone recently.

I am still waiting for someone with one or installing one to tell me how long it will deliver 20 li/min at 35 C for.

Those who have fitted them seem surprisingly reluctant to tell us!

Tony

can't help you on thisd tony as never fit "washing machines" only the 831/7's

Sponsored Links
What exactly was the problem with the flue? Because I have the same problem at home. Rads seem fine but getting intermittent hot water from the taps? Not cool when you're showering during the middle of winter! My flue seems fine, theres nothing in the way of it etc and no builders or anything like that about so dunno?

Thermistor maybe?

Does it give a fault code?

Tony

No faults...I dont think? It just flashes between "1" and "nnn" (what looks like 3 small n's)

I cant find anything in the instuction booklet? What do you reckon?

No faults...I dont think? It just flashes between "1" and "nnn" (what looks like 3 small n's)

I cant find anything in the instuction booklet? What do you reckon?

you are in engineers diagnostics, 1 is fault 1 the most recent, nnn is an engineers mark we put it in on a service to leave a mark, should the boiler fault we can see the faults subsiquent to our visit

Problem solved (I think) Well it seems to be holding up anyway?! I just took out the secondary heat exchanger and cleaned out with some descaler and put it back in. Seems to have sorted out the problem. Havent taken a shower yet but let the taps run for a long time to check and it all seemed good. The temperature remained constant. I'll let my girlfriend take a shower first and see what she says? If I hear screams then its back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Great site!!!

Just home after a being out for a few hours and the boiler is doing the exact same thing!

A mate reckons I need a new heat exchanger?

I'm willing to try anything before shelling out for new parts etc, any help would be greatly appreciated??!!!

When running your hot water what do the flow and return temperatures show? Thats d40 and d41 !

But you will have to check each one several times as you may not have a very static situation.

Tony

Ok Tony I checked that. d40 was about 63 and d41 about 55.

Before I turned the hot water on though d40 was about 45 or so and then I turned the hot tap in the kitchen on full and it shot up to about 67 and then settled to 63.

You reckon that could be a diverter valve problem then? Alot of the hot water intended for the taps is being diverted into the CH system and thats why I'm getting luke warm water at the taps yet the rads are getting hot?

Ok Tony I checked that. d40 was about 63 and d41 about 55.

Before I turned the hot water on though d40 was about 45 or so and then I turned the hot tap in the kitchen on full and it shot up to about 67 and then settled to 63.

You reckon that could be a diverter valve problem then? Alot of the hot water intended for the taps is being diverted into the CH system and thats why I'm getting luke warm water at the taps yet the rads are getting hot?

63/55 is fine ( although DP likes to see a 20° difference. That indicates to me the plate HE is clear.

Only you know what the boiler is doing but if the rads are on with the DHW then the diverter valve is faulty!

A simple test is to turn off the boiler flow valve to the heating and see what the DHW does then.

Sounds like diverter valve to me! Common on your model !

Tony

gas4you said:
I would think that either the flow rate is too low or perhaps the dhw thermistor is faulty. Sounds like a call to Vaillant tomorrow then :cry:

At least as you're not one of my customers I can still say I have a 100% no fault record. Does not help you though.

Post back after warranty visit to let me know the outcome. Always eager to learn of different faults and fixes ;)

ok thanks for your advice, i will post back once i have a resolution

It was the "aqua sensor" (thats what Vaillant seem to call it) thats sits on the secondary heat exchanger. It was on properly! And that was all. Couldn't believe it. I put it on properly and in the right place and all is good!

Thanks for all advice guys! Appreciate it!

Do you mean the temperature sensor?

I thought it was the flow sensing turbine they called the aqua sensor.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back