Vaillant Ecotech boiler; CH, but no hot water; need new one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do, all - first time poster.

We had a Vaillant Ecotech 937 Plus boiler installed just over 6 years ago, and over the last few weeks it became increasingly difficult to get any hot water out of the taps, although the central heating was unaffected. (We'd had it serviced every year since to the best of my knowledge, although it may be pushing a year and a half since the last one, and it hasn't given any trouble.)

However, during this recent spell water from the kitchen taps (ground floor) just would not run hot, while running the taps in the bathroom (first floor, and also the site of the boiler) would eventually cause the boiler to fire up and also to supply hot water to the kitchen thereafter.

A few days ago, it stopped producing hot running water altogether. When viewed, the digital display would show the temperature climbing rapidly to about 84 degrees and it would sound as though it was burning gas, even though the little flame indicator on the display was not showing. At that point, the sound I took to be gas burning would stop, and the temperature would fall rapidly to fifty-odd degrees. I think I also saw a F.81/F.91 error code on the display on one occasion.

Anyway, we've had a certified Vaillant engineer out. Today is his second day, and after fitting some parts he says it's something to do with a heat exchanger and that he can't fix it, so we basically need a new boiler (sorry not to be more exact, but I'm at work while my wife is at home dealing with it ). :rolleyes:

I hate to seem suspicious, but in this day and age you can't be too careful. As a layman it seems to me that if the bloody thing can burn gas, heat water, and pump it through pipes to radiators, why should it need replacing? Shouldn't it be possible to fix the bit that makes it supply that same hot water to the taps?

All feedback gratefully received - thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
:oops: Apologies, I've just remembered a further important detail; it's not so much that he can't fix it as that replacing the heat exchanger would apparently be more expensive. Does that sound realistic?

no, not all

call vaillant and get a fixed price repair?

have you any paperwork or do you know exactly what parts need replacing?

Or ask how much it would cost do descale and flush out existing heat exchanger.Why do you need it replaced? No ,it`s not realistic and yes, you are being conned.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, both, for your replies.

I spoke to the guy first thing yesterday and asked basically the same question that I posted here. He explained that someone had put leak sealant in the system, which is fine for older boilers but not for one such as a Vaillant 937, and that that had corroded the heat exchanger. (Don't know who put the sealant in, assuming he was telling the truth; it could have been the original fitter, who has also carried out all the services we've since had, or it could have been the guy who did out the bathroom - new tiles, bath, shower, etc, which must have involved a certain amount of plumbing - shortly after the 937 was installed.)

He said that, given how much time it had taken him to track down the problem, the cost of supplying and fitting a new heat exchanger on top of the previous work wouldn't be much different from what he'd charge for supplying and fitting a new Vaillant 837 Ecotec, which would be more efficient, more reliable, and have a 7-year warranty. Having been without hot water for nearly a week already, I decided to go with that option.

He had the boiler in and working by the time I got home from work (picking up some Saturday overtime to offset the hit we've taken here :( ), and given that I had put him on the spot earlier on over the phone before deciding to go ahead, he took great pains to show me the corrosion in the heat exchanger, and was also very thorough in explaining how the new boiler worked and how much warmer the house would be for much less gas consumption.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert at judging character, but he seemed on the level and wasn't obviously a cowboy (i.e. he employs other blokes, has a company van, is VAT registered, has a machine for taking credit cards, etc.).

I've posted some photos below, and I'd be grateful for any further feedback on the basis of those and what I've added here. If I've been a mug, well...so be it; I'll try to take some comfort from the fact that at least we've got a brand new boiler with a 7-year warranty, and hot water again. Amazing how you take something like that for granted! (What he said about the house being warmer also seems to have been borne out; the boiler is running at 75 degrees instead of 84, and the radiators are chucking out the heat like never before.)

[/img]

I am glad that the system seems to be working better with a lower flow temperature.

But that would indicate to me that the flow through the heating system is better. Perhaps the old boiler just needed a new pump?

Those photos are of the combustion side of the main heat exchanger and not the water side where leak sealer/corrosion/dirt would occur.

Certainly the exchanger is dirty on the combustion side but that can be cleaned!

Perhaps others will come up with a better assessment of your problems but the above is mine. But there could be other issues that have not been mentioned here.

Tony

Thanks for your reply, Tony. We're out about £2,450 in total, for which he was here pretty much three whole days (and there was one other guy with him on one of the days).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back