vaillant opinion on 1m copper from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spoke with one of the vaillant technical advisors on the phone and he said you can come straight of the boiler connections in plastic pipe?
Has anyone else been told this?

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone tell me that?

Vaillant do not require copper for the water and heating connections to their boilers.

The gas must be in metal.

The PRV vent pipe should be in metal as its considered bad practice to use plastic but again Vaillant do not make any stipulations.

Tony

What if corgi say its incorrect when its installed in plastic?
Why would anyone tell me that?

Vaillant do not require copper for the water and heating connections to their boilers.

The gas must be in metal.

The PRV vent pipe should be in metal as its considered bad practice to use plastic but again Vaillant do not make any stipulations.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What if corgi say its incorrect when its installed in plastic?
Why do you think that CORGI's opinion has any relevance to anything?
Well it has always been the case that corgi specify what is right and wrong...or we are lead to belief this.

I know people that have had to go back and change plastic pipes on the vaillant because corgi say it is wrong.

I did a vaillant a while back in plastic and am a bit worried that corgi might see that as a risky installation

Well it has always been the case that corgi specify what is right and wrong...or we are lead to belief this.
I've never been led to believe it - where is the specification to which you refer?

I know people that have had to go back and change plastic pipes on the vaillant because corgi say it is wrong.
CORGI can't just "say" that something is wrong. If an installation conforms to the prevailing safety standards, then it is not wrong.

I did a vaillant a while back in plastic and am a bit worried that corgi might see that as a risky installation
If you're in doubt, then don't do it. You don't need CORGI to tell you that.

It is a BS 7291/PT1/PT3 (British standard) to take 1m of copper from boiler connection

Who has the last word? Manufacturers, corgi or british standards?
I've never been led to believe it - where is the specification to which you refer?

CORGI can't just "say" that something is wrong. If an installation conforms to the prevailing safety standards, then it is not wrong.

If you're in doubt, then don't do it. You don't need CORGI to tell you that.

It is a BS 7291/PT1/PT3 (British standard) to take 1m of copper from boiler connection

Who has the last word? Manufacturers, corgi or british standards

The BS is only a "good practice" and has no legal status.

CORGI have always strongly stated that the Manufacturer's instructions take precedence.

However, the Vaillant instructions ONLY has no prohibition on using plastic".

That does not mean that it is any less good practice. I am disappointed that some installers do not abide by the BEST practice, let alone good practice!

Tony

When you think about it half the boilers are made up of a lot of rubber and plastic parts anyway.

But MI is always what you should go by

More than a half of the boilers that I see!

Before Christmas I saw a G-W style recent Sonya Duval which had a pin hole in the right hand PLASTIC hydraulic block spraying high pressure mains water all over the two PCBs!

Tony

I saw a G-W style recent Sonya Duval which had a pin hole in the right hand PLASTIC hydraulic block...
A pinhole you say? In a plastic block?

Does the fact that you mention such an event mean that it's rare?

I mean, pinholes occur in copper all the time, but plastic?! Surely it almost never happens?

Still, copper is so much better at keeping the water in, eh. ;)

I saw a G-W style recent Sonya Duval which had a pin hole in the right hand PLASTIC hydraulic block...
A pinhole you say? In a plastic block?

Does the fact that you mention such an event mean that it's rare?

I mean, pinholes occur in copper all the time, but plastic?! Surely it almost never happens?

Still, copper is so much better at keeping the water in, eh. ;)

Pinholes in plastic is very, very, very common actually especially on the GW's and SD's. It's not as good as brass or copper for durability but it is very CHEAP hence it's use.

OK... i have no idea if this 1m rule is enforceable or not ...

last time i was at heatlines HQ in bedford (before valliant told them to get stuffed) i was told they must be 1 meter of copper before it goes to plastic(for heatline boilers at least)

but.. i don't think it tells you that in the manual... :rolleyes: now valliant are in charge it could be all changed

also we are all forgetting the other side of this...what does hep and Mr guest think about putting plastic pipe straight on to a boiler? they may have a say too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back