Valliant 831 or WB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am just buying a 3 bed 1 bath bungalow that has 9 rads. Oil heating is comming out to be replaced with gas. Also want to run normal mixer shower. I have been offered Valliant 831 or WB Cdi not sure which one to go for? Valliant comes a bit cheaper but notice the out put and heating kw is not as high! Would I ever notice the difference in out put? Never had combi before!

If anyone could advise that would be great.

Thanks Easty

Sponsored Links
The heating output will more than likely be more than enough for your property so don't worry about it. Combi boilers are sized to meet the hot water demand, the Ecotec 831 can deliver 12.7 litres/minute so as long as your incoming cold water mains is not lower than this you should be fine.

The water pressure is fine just unsure which make to go for. All sites saying one or other I think it is down to preference!

The water pressure is fine just unsure which make to go for. All sites saying one or other I think it is down to preference!

Not a massive amount in it, though from an engineer's perspective the Vaillants are better to service.

If your cold supply is up to the 12 litres/min output of the Vaillant, then should give a really good shower with a thermostatic mixer.

My own money would probably be put into the Vaillant.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't a point it was a question, but as you've mentioned it:

Check ionisation circuit, check fan pull pressure, then strip main HE, brush out, flush out, strip burner, replace burner seal, HE seal, clean out trap, repeat fan pull test, gas checks, take out of service mode etc etc and assuming eg. you're not on a R/H side flued junior and have to dismantle flue to get top open for your brush access. And not to forget allowing boiler time to reach equilibrium as per your CPA1 to do CO2 tests.

Does your 20 minutes include getting out tools, packing away and paperwork?

PS. Sorry forgot to isolate F/R, drop pressure and check expansion vessel then fill, open and purge.

It wasn't a point it was a question, but as you've mentioned it:

Check ionisation circuit, check fan pull pressure, then strip main HE, brush out, flush out, strip burner, replace burner seal, HE seal, clean out trap, repeat fan pull test, gas checks, take out of service mode etc etc and assuming eg. you're not on a R/H side flued junior and have to dismantle flue to get top open for your brush access. And not to forget allowing boiler time to reach equilibrium as per your CPA1 to do CO2 tests.

Does your 20 minutes include getting out tools, packing away and paperwork?

don t do the fan pull test twice..why would you ? cleaned 1 i/si out of hundreds, generally don t need doing!

most of the above take longer to write than do! if you can t do that in 20 mins you are seriously slow.

did two today, all checks done one was cdi cleaned out regardless of fan pressure as i didn t check it. range rated it, cleaned out trap, still in 20 mins.

I'm not a custard.........you don t have to bullshit me as to how complex/long your job is to justify your price!

I'm a WAI been on all the courses, it is a quick easy job !

Your doing them regularly, not me. I don't believe you can do all it states in the manual in 20 minutes. If you've made your own 20 minute short circuit service schedule good luck but then maybe you should explain that to the custard.

Your doing them regularly, not me. I don't believe you can do all it states in the manual in 20 minutes. If you've made your own 20 minute short curcuit service schedule good luck but then maybe you should explain that to the custard.

oh i understand now...if you are reading the manual as you go it will probably take quite a bit longer !! i know all the fan pressures from memory etc so not having to read up on it all probably makes a difference.

if its not a boiler you are very familiar with or practisced at..why comment?

I didn't mention anything about not being familiar with them. Do you carry out ionisation check (as required by WB), do you carry out vessel checks, do you carry out FGA as per your CPA1? (standard with all combis). If you do I suggest most of your 20 minutes is already lapsed without doing the rest. It's no use trying to upstage me, you've made a statement which doesn't add up.

I didn't mention anything about not being familiar with them. Do you carry out ionisation check (as required by WB), do you carry out vessel checks, do you carry out FGA as per your CPA1? (standard with all combis). If you do I suggest most of your 20 minutes is already lapsed without doing the rest. It's no use trying to upstage me, you've made a statement which doesn't add up.

yes to all the above ! also gas pressures at the g/v. the vessel is checked by watching the pressure gauge on high fire! if it remains constant is is fine. watching that..how long does that take!

come and watch me if you don t believe me. The manometer is attached to g/v, whilst waiting for stabilization (gas/air) i move it to check the fan depression, then ionisation, all still whilst the boiler is in high fire. all this takes ....45 secs? don t know why you are making such a big deal. if you are bit slow, reading manuals with two left thumbs, don t criticise others for being quick and professional.

did i tell you i did a WB diverter valve cdi, and a pcb on a jnr as well today?

I've mentioned nothing about reading the manual, that would take even longer. The vessel is not fine just by looking at it unles you bring the entire CH system up to temp, which will eat more of your 20 minutes. Also the checks you've described, this time, don't include brushing out the ally oxide, cleaning trap, burner and replacing seals.

It's irrelevant how long it takes me as I have to do them for fixed price so the customer can't lose out (apart from the cost of the seals).

You can't fulfill your obligation under the MI's and GSR on a WB on a FULL service in 20 minutes. Even the short service could take that by the time you've done the vessel and FGA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back