Vauxhall 1.3 CDTi won't start

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
My 2004 Vauxhall Combo van is on loan to some friends but they have been having problems with it. Fist it stopped charging the battery, now it won't start. Today I went to where it broke down to try and fix it. I have tried the following:
1) Check for 12 volts at the glow plugs
2) Check resistance of all 4 glow plugs
3) Crack open an injector pipe and check for fuel flow when turning starter
4) Partially drain fuel filter in case there is water inside
5) Disconnect air hose and check for intake suction.
6) Check for water in the oil
7) Check for oil in the water

I have not checked anything on the turbo as I know nothing at all about turbos. I suppose the next check might be compression. I have a tester but I'm not sure if it is suitable for diesels. It was raining most of the day so I could only work on it between showers. Any thoughts? I'm hoping we can tow it to my place for more thorough diagnostics.

Sponsored Links
have you tried using your spare key?
just wondered if your friends may have dropped the key?

If a diesel engine is getting fuel and air, what difference can the key make? If it is an immobiliser shutting off the fuel, surely it would show up on my check 3) ? Actually there does seem to be a problem with the key, as it is tricky to turn in the door locks and the ignition. It is as though someone had lost the key and obtained a slightly different one which just about works. It was like that for about a year though. I have only ever had one key.

Sponsored Links
We can't argue with that logic, but the fuel would be squirting out at one hell of a pressure during your test!
Did it do so?
I don't know this engine....are the fuel injectors opened electronically, anyone?
John :)

We can't argue with that logic, but the fuel would be squirting out at one hell of a pressure during your test!
Did it do so?
I don't know this engine....are the fuel injectors opened electronically, anyone?
John :)

I don't think it would as it is the injector itself which creates the high pressure. The system relies on the non compressibility of a liquid. A small flow of fuel will still find it's way through the injector orifice if it has nowhere else to go. I might try the same check on a working engine for comparison.

I might just get it towed to my place then break it for spares.:( I want to sell the van but it is virtually worthless here as it is a UK right hand drive vehicle. Even a new key would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend on it.
I did try the same experiment on my LDV Convoy 2.4 Ford engine and it did give the odd burst of sprayed fuel.

If the charging system is not sorted it's likely to be the alternator pully & not the alternator! The pully one way bearing becomes 2 way & the alternator does not turn.

As for starting, does it turn over? As the engine wears & compression decreases the inadiquate starter becomes more inadiquate & won't turn the engine over fast enough to start it propperly, there is a modded starter from Vauxhall to sort this.

Does the van turn over??

It actually seems to turn over too easily so I wondered if compression is down. It could well be the injection system though as I have now compared the flow from the injector pipe with that on my Ford 2.4 engine and that does give bursts of high pressure fuel.

Sponsored Links
Back