Vauxhall ECU problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Have vauxhall vectra 2000 1.8LS with an ECU light permanently on. Been told I need to replace the ECU. Can get hold of a 2nd hand ECU with code GM 90 506 365. Not 100% sure what Im looking at, but Ive had a look at the wires underneath the handbrake. The wires have the code GM 90 433 373 on them. Do these wires lead to the ECU and are the codes compatible. The code GM 90 506 365 ECU is off a 98 vectra but have been told it will do the job????? Or how do i get to the ecu to check the numbers??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly et, if you don't know where the ECU is on your car how are you going to replace it? However I would say if it's a replaceable item then it's most likely accessible. Have you tried under the bonnet. or in the glove box or even in the boot!! Once you locate it disconnect it. There should be a set of numbers stamped on the outer casing. Note them down and accept nothing else. That way you can be sure you've got the right part
Good Luck

Willie..

I had the same fault on a Vauxhall Corsa I once owned.
I ended up removing the ECU valve and cleaned it out. I used white spirit which is probably not recommended but the car was cheap & rarely used anyway.

Worked like a treat. Warning light disappeared & performance dramatically improved. Plus I saved myself about £140 which is what Vauxhall would have charged to replace the part.

Don't know if it's the same for a Vectra but on the Corsa the ECU valve was connected to the right side of the engine block on the upper half (assuming you are standing at the front bumper looking under the hood).
It has a pipe connecting it to the coolant expansion tank and you may need to partially drain the coolant before removing or at least block the hose with some kind of clip.

This advice may be completely useless to you as we are talking about different cars but I thought there may be similarities.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the ecu (iirc electronic control unit) is a valve although you are correct in the ecu should be fixed to the right hand side of the engine block. Are there any fault codes stored?

PLEASE IGNORE MY ADVICE!!
My memory has failed me.

It was the EGR valve I had worked on, not ECU.

Having received expert advice from numerous people on this site I thought I saw an opportunity to put something back in.

I'll get my facts right next time.

Back