Velux or Fakro Roof window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't decide.... and the prices are very similar.

It'll be a Centre Hung window.

Any experience good or bad with either?
Any benefits to either?

The main difference I can see is that the Fakro ones come with a handle at the bottom, which is probably easier to reach most of the time!
I've also noticed that the Fakro ones can be mounted at different depths, so it doesn't protrude too much from the roof, ie lower profile?

Sponsored Links
You get a free marking out pencil with the Fakro ones. :cool:

Otherwise, either will do as they are more or less the same

I guess blinds for the Fakros are harder to come by in as much choice as Velux. :(

Sponsored Links
I've fitted both and there is absolutely no difference - except IIRC, the fixing brackets were different ... velux on the corners and fakro go on the sides

The instructions are the same stupid picturegrams, and the material and construction is the same.

The only difference between them is the Market share in the market..
The product is very similar as everyone outlined above and the fixings and the installation and as far as I am aware they are both made outside the UK....

Therefore if there is smaller price you might want to go for that....

Velux customer service is very good. I needed the replacment spring clips for a low pitched roof, which they sent out quickly and for free.

A friend had a glazed unit crack, and they sent their guys out and replaced it for free very quickly.

VELUX by far. better quality window and a FAR better service all round.

the handle at the bottom is not that great if the window is at low level. If you push taht out and the top of the window pivots in, then you have to duck and it gets in your way.

If its at a good easy level to open it, why not go for a top hung window and you will have the full window to look out of - not the back of the sash

hi,does anyone know if velux and fakro flashings are the same ,could you use either????? are they compatible.....

I've fitted both and there is absolutely no difference - except IIRC, the fixing brackets were different ... velux on the corners and fakro go on the sides

The instructions are the same stupid picturegrams, and the material and construction is the same.

Woody - there is a bit of a difference between them both. The Fakro roof windows are much better made. The glazing is thicker by an additional 1.5mm giving you much better insulation. Plus just look at the wood finish. You will not find any knotting in the wood. It's premium pine.

When there's little difference in the price (although you will most likely find the Fakro cheaper) I'd go with the Fakro. I've got 3 of them in my home and they look and work fantastically.

The glazing is thicker by an additional 1.5mm giving you much better insulation.
\

Hi

Do you mean the glass is thicker or the spacing of panes is greater ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back