Vent not existing for existing Back boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I understand that a vent is needed for safety of back boiler etc, however there is a dilemma here.

I have a disabled client with no income who has DLA benefit in appeal - thus doesn't qualify for EST new heating system yet. Her heating packed up just before recent winter and started with problems with timer.

BGas have been out since and have stated they wont even entertain looking at fixing timer, as there is no vent in the room with back boiler.

I know its not ideal, however if it was running previously with no problem, then can the timer really not be looked at to get the system running again? :unsure:

P.S. and No, the client cant even afford getting the vent fitted at £150.

Sponsored Links
I understand that a vent is needed for safety of back boiler
There is no alternative other than to abide by the rules and have a vent fitted. It should be less than £150 though.
You cannot expect anyone on here to waive the rules and advise you that a vent is not needed. :eek:

i think a vent is about £25 a core cutter hire and labour required should not come to £150, but it isnt really my place to comment on other peoples prices

Sponsored Links
Running a hole through the wall isn't very expensive.

A vent or they are dead.

However just been to a house where the girls had taped the vent up with
parcel tape.

i think a vent is about £25 a core cutter hire and labour required should not come to £150, but it isnt really my place to comment on other peoples prices
another potential option is window vents, but it will need a survey by a someone who knows the requirement of the appliances

I know its not ideal, however if it was running previously with no problem, then can the timer really not be looked at to get the system running again? :unsure:
NO it can't

P.S. and No, the client cant even afford getting the vent fitted at £150.[/quote]

As a stand alone job, we would charge about £100 inc vat and the vent (with a cowl). However, tht is because we don't charge "handyman" labour rates, even theough a vent is a simple job (normally).

I don't know what your business is or what you charge, but you could do it for her. You dont even need a core drill, just stitch and chop carefully, and it should be perfect.

I really need to up my prices. Fitted a stadium 100cm2 vent last week, £80 supplied and fitted. There will be some form of benifit loan to pay for this. Get a gas engineer to give you a written quote and get him to put a side note on there stating the importance of this vent for the customer.

Cheers guys had a feeling it couldn't be done without it.

Have since asked a few contractors to have a look and requote for essential work only and will try getting a crisis loan for her.

We're a small council funded agency who help vulnerable/disabled homeowners with building work/adaptations- thus our handypeople cant do trades people jobs (even though their qualified) as our agency doesn't like to take money away from guys that would ordinarily get paid for it -

Heres hoping she can get heating in before next winter! :confused:

You should have explained that in your first post.

There are several people on here in Glasgow and its quite possible that one of them might be prepared to do the fitting on a pro bono basis if the vent is paid for or supplied!

Quoting the post code would help as its easier to do a free job next door that the other side of the city.

Tony

Thanks Agile - never thought of that :eek:

I'd need to source funds for materials first....

But no idea what our agency's actual position is on it..(legal & vetting etc).... will have to check with manager.....and I'll post back.

Job is in G4 0 if anyone is interested...

And that is part of the reason we are in this sorry state of affairs.

That kind of beaurochracy (might sort the spellings later) really plsses me off. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back