Very low pressure in electric shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have a problem which many probably get but am unsure of what route to take to cure it.

I have a 10.5kw electric shower (cold water fed). In the winter, when the water pressure drops, the rate in which the water comes out is pathetic. In the summer its ok but i'd like it better.

I have been told to keep the existing shower i need to have a pump installed. Now i dont know what kind or how powerful.
I will get a tradesman to fit it as i have no experience in this.

Can anyone advise me as to what id need to look into buying and then i can work out costs etc.

Thanks Danny.

Sponsored Links
You do not fit pumps to electric instantaneous showers. Try this ... Put your shower on full COLD ,you should find that the pressure is really quite good. Its the inability of the heating elements to heat the cold water running at that flow rate ,that's the drawback.

What's your tap flow rate like?.

We fitted a Homeboost pump (main feed into house) due to poor pressure and flow and it has made a big difference to our electeic shower.

As Terry says though, if it's already got a good supply the heater will be the limiting factor.

We had to put puts on Eco in summer because the flow was that bad it kept tripping the overheat protection on normal setting..

My tap flow rate is good. When i turn the shower to cold, the flow is also good.
It is a MIRA GO shower.
If i were to upgrade it to improve the pressure/flow when turned to hot, what models or makes have the best elements for my needs ?

Sponsored Links
A 10.5 kW shower has the same power no matter who makes it. That is the power rating of shower. You want more power ,you up the kw , so ,12 kW would give you a bit better flow ,but not dramatically so.

We have a water saving shower head, it only just gives enough for a decent shower.
The other week I gas rated the boiler while the shower was on and it was still using 17kw. In summer it's lower.
A 10.5kw shower isn't going to be great in winter.

mine is a cold water feed shower so the boiler has no effect on it.

10.5kw is a poor shower, ours is a 17kw shower, boiler or electric is irrelevant

Terryplumb mentioned a 12kw shower and john D v2.0 mentioned a 17kw shower.

I can only find showers for sale upto 10.8kW ??

Where should i look for a better rated shower ?

I think I may have worded my post badly . I was trying to illustrate how kW power relates to heating the water instantaneously. And I think John D was too. He was using the 17 kW power of his combi boiler which his shower runs off ,his is not electric ,as an example. As 12 kW would only give a bit more water flow than 10.5 kW , but the electric installation In most properties may not be able to cope with such a load without upgrading , they are not very much in demand ,if indeed any are still produced for UK. Have you considered running a shower from your combi boiler ?

Thanks Terry. No, using the boiler is a no no. Very old and just waiting for it to die.

So i'll be looking for a new shower then. 10.8kW is the highest available. I will buy a better model and hope it improves my morning ablutions.

Cheers . sure you don't want to put the dosh towards a new combi !!:LOL::LOL:

If you haven to have a three phase incoming supply you could get an amazing shower out of it.
The electric bill would also be amazing!
Terry is right I was talking about the power of the boiler not the electrics.
If you don't want a tank with stored hot water I'm out of suggestions. Sounds like you know what's what(y)

Before you install a higher rated shower than the one you have, get an electrician to check that the cable and supply are up to the job. You're going to be drawing a large current and an undersized cable will overheat and possible melt. This has caused house fires in the past.

I'm sure our cable was sized for 10kw so we went loke for like when the last one expired

Redring aren't too bad imho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back