Vibration/Juddering coming from pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice welcome. When we turn the tap on in the kitchen (hot or cold) we get a vibrating noise and juddering. This sometimes happens with the upstairs taps as well. Also (and this is very annoying) it happens when there is nothing being used at all, no heating on, no washer, nothing. It can happen in the middle of the night as well as daytime. I've noticed when it happens without any taps or anything being used, there's a sort of muffled bang and water trickles out of the kitchen tap until we turn on the hot water tap and it stops.
Any ideas as to how we can correct this? I don't mind getting a plumber out, but would appreciate any advice before we do this. TIA, WWAS.

Sponsored Links
I wonder what kind of pressure you have there?

You might need a pressure reducing valve and a shock arrestor/ mini expansion vessel on the cold main after the stop cock

The pressure seems quite high. I think we're on a shared service. Old (1883) terraced house, and this started about 8 months ago and has got steadily worse.
Any ideas of the cost of having the arrestor/expansion fitted?
Thanks for the reply Terrydoh.

A pressurereducing valve is about £30 and a mini vessel about £15 - £25 depending on where you get it.

Get them to measure your pressure first. I would say an hours labour should cover it

Sponsored Links
A pressurereducing valve is about £30 and a mini vessel about £15 - £25 depending on where you get it.

Get them to measure your pressure first. I would say an hours labour should cover it

Thanks for that Terrydoh, I'll contact a plumber, and you've given me a good idea of what he should quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back