viessmann vitotrol 150

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

re: viessmann vitola 100 with vitotrol 150 controller.

is anyone out there familiar with this boiler control?

i have an ongoing problem in that the central heating pumps almost constantly in the winter regardless if whether the CH water is being heated or not. there is a frost protection function which can cause this if the outside temp is lower than the code set on the controller but the pump has been going even when the temp is +12 degrees, also i have tried de-activating this function and still the problem persists.

i have contacted viessmann for ideas but they have not been forthcoming with answers....

anyone know of a coding address that would be likely to need adjusting?

thank in advance for any help,

Sponsored Links
The Vitola 100 is not marketed in the UK under that name.

The Vitodens 100 sold recently was a special for the UK market, dumbed down we think. The latest 100 W is apparently the one sold in Europe and it has proved very reliable so far.

Nor do I find any reference to a Vitotrol 150

Is there any chance that its just running the pump to circulate the water until its temperature needs to be raised?

If I was faced with diagnosing the problem, I would substitute a pot for the heating sensor and simulate different CH water temps to see the effect.

Tony

thanks for replying Agile, it is an oil boiler and is in france so may not be available in the uk...but it should be found on the internet somewhere.

regarding the control, my mistake, it is actually a vitoTRONIC 150 graced with so-called 'fuzzy logic'.

the heating is set to come on for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening but as i said, the pump is pumping cold water round all night long. it may be pumping all day long as well for all i know but it's when i'm in bed that i can hear it all night going on and off (mostly on).

the system has on outside temp sensor but at the moment no room stat.

Sponsored Links
The Vitotronic 150 is continental. In the UK it's known as the Vitotronic 100. I'm pretty sure they're one and the same. If so then there is no function code to have the pump in an always on state. You can only adjust the run-on up to 15 minutes. The control also has a function that spins the pump from time to time when inactive to prevent siezing but again non adjustable. Could be your control is broken. Look on Viessmann UK site for Vitotronic 100 for tech data and coding.

thanks for the response Weargas.

i have been through the viessmann codes and could find nothing other than frost protection (A3 i think from memeory) that would explain it apart from possibly A5 (which is a function to do with outside temp and pump operation).

so... if the pump runs for approx 45 minutes out of each hour regardless of outside temperature with the boiler not actually heating, the control must be faulty?

does the vitotronic 100 feature this 'fuzzy logic' as the 150 is supposed to be blessed with?

the 100 doesn't claim fuzzy logic (but may have it)and the presumption that your control is faulty is purely speculation on my part. I think you need a Viessmann wizard on site.

It could be that your boiler is configured to use constant circulation. I have read references to this suggesting that it is used on continental boilers. See the section starting on the third screen down in this article.

very interesting article.

do you think that could explain the situation though, bearing in mind that the pump runs for hours after the burner has shut down? unless i have the boiler set to uphold temperatures all the time (which i can't really afford) it is basically pumping cold water round the house, as far as i can see, cooling the house down....

would you have any idea what code would disable this constant pumping function?

much appreciated,

john

do you think that could explain the situation though, bearing in mind that the pump runs for hours after the burner has shut down? unless i have the boiler set to uphold temperatures all the time (which i can't really afford) it is basically pumping cold water round the house, as far as i can see, cooling the house down....
I don't claim to be a Viessmann expert ;) but I have been reading through the Vitronic 150 manual and came across an interesting bit on page 36 saying that, if the system is run with the "reduced room temperature" greater than 3 degrees, the pump runs continuously (bottom right of the page).

I don't know if this is relevant.

I also have three questions:

1. Do you have a room thermostat?
2. Do you have weather compensation?
3. Do you have frost protection?

would you have any idea what code would disable this constant pumping function?
All the codes are in the above manual.

thank you for spotting that...

i have read through both the user instructions and the installation instructions several times and although i have seen that paragraph before i have not actually clicked that there is definitely a very good lead there which i will follow up

but to answer your questions directly (as maybe you have a better chance of solving this than me):

1: no room stat
2: yes, outside thermometer and therefore weather comp (i beleive it's that simple)
3: i have variously enabled/disabled frost protection whilst trying to solve this, but yes it does have it unless i code A3/A4 to say otherwise and whether frost protected or not, the pump pumps all the time.

how do i change reduced set room temp to 3 or above? i am sure it's there in the manuals but i think i'm not seeing the wood for the trees if you know what i mean..

sorry for asking stupid questions,

i can see how you change reduced room temp to 3 deg. and indeed i have already reduced it to 3 which is as low as you can reduce it..

it's the next bit that i can't get my head round at the moment:

"pump is off (in winter cycle) after a change to reduced mode subject to demand"

how do i interpret this correctly to stop the pump wasting electricity and cooling my house and keeping me awake at night? or am i misunderstanding some benefit to this constant pump operation?

If I go to a situation like this for the first time I have to start at the beginning.

I would check if tthe correct boiler identity plug is in place.

I check if the pump is correctly wired to the controller.

Only when I am satisfied that everything is correctly connect do I start examining programming.

Perhaps I have not read it but has your system ALWAYS done this or is it a fault which suddenly occured?

Tony

to answer your questions directly ...:

1: no room stat
I thought that might be the case. Your system is relying entirely on the weather compensation to control the boiler. If this is not set up correctly the boiler can run when not required.

2: yes, outside thermometer and therefore weather comp (I believe it's that simple)
Do you mean temperature sensor, which is a box fixed fairly high up on a north/north-west wall connected by a cable to the boiler?

As for my "discovery" on page 36. I have looked at it again and just seen that the paragraph is headed "Without outside temperature sensor"; so it might not apply in your case. Page 37 might be more applicable.

Tony's question is very relevant: is this a new problem or has it always been like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back