viessmann

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

ive been qouted £1900 for a viessmann vitodens 100w 30kw compact open vented wall mounted condensing boiler. is it a good boiler? would you recommend it? is it a good price? its to go in a four bed detached house. thanks

Sponsored Links
Your price sounds rather low. I am a householder not an installer.

I've got a Vitodens 100W, seems a good boiler to me. Quiet, efficient, fairly small, well-made. I've had it since September 2008.

I chose it for the stainless internal parts and the long guarantee (provided you have it installed by a trained installer off the Viessman website list). The open-vented conventional boiler has very few internal parts, so much less to go wrong than a combi or a pressurised system boiler.

Verify that you are getting a brand-new one, not one that has been sitting in a warehouse for two years, because I understand the earliest ones had faults on the PCB. These would be fixed under guarantee, but you don't want the nuisance. You might be able to tell by the model no. and asking Viessman when it was introduced (mine is 24kW, I think the 30kW is newer).

I presume you are having this new boiler fitted on an old system. Make sure it is properly powerflushed before the new boiler is fitted, and I recommend a Magnaclean or Spirovent is fitted as well to trap residual dirt and sludge (you can never get it all out). A Magnaclean should cost about £100 plus a bit for fitting. Thorough powerflushing will take about half a day, so I wonder if it is included in your low price? While the system is drained is a good time to make sure everything else is in good condition (pump, thermostats, programmer, cylinder insulation, pipes insulation, TRVs) which your quote sounds too low to be including. You can DIY these things, but do them before the boiler is fitted. The weather is warm now so you can take the heating out of use while you do them. If draining, bale out all the mud from the F&E first and sponge it clean to avoid more filth getting washed down into the system. If you can circulate some Sentinel X400 preferably for 4 weeks before the installer comes, it will help loosen the old dirt.

Think carefully about where you want it. The flue makes steam in cold weather, and drips, so I had mine on a wall away from windows, but close to the sink so the condensate pipe could be plumbed to the internal drain to avoid an unsightly external waste pipe.

quiz your installer to satisfy yourself that the person installing it is the person who is trained, and that he has installed this particular model before. I had an unsatisfactory experience when the boss of the company I used was skilled and experienced, but his employees were not and made several errors. It did not work for about a month until after the boss came back from his holidays :rolleyes:

p.s. 30kW is quite a big boiler, so look to see what size gas pipe you have and the distance from the meter. The installer should check this before quoting, in case the existing pipe is too small/too long/has too many bends and a new one has to be run because there is insufficient flow and pressure.

Mine was 1-inch iron which is OK. A 15mm copper pipe might be too small.

p.p.s. How was the 30kW calculated? For a conventionl boiler it is rather a lot.

Sponsored Links
as johnd's post. for a four bed detached 30 kw sounds oversized. I would have a look at the energy saving trust's whole house heating load calculation and possibly speak to your installer as to what the reasoning is behind such a large blr if there is a large discrepancy between the two.

With regard pricing there is a general consensus that we should not comment on pricing. Without being able to see the job first hand and knowing all of the factors involved it is impossible and unfair to make comments on how much a job should or shouldn't cost.

If the OP wanted us to comment on the price then he would have to give us full details of all the aspects.

For example is it replacing an existing boiler? If so whats the exact model number of the current boiler so we can compare the power outputs.

How far is the boiler from the gas meter?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back