Vokera Excell SP80 doesn't seem right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just rented a flat in London which has a Vokera Excell SP80 combi boiler.

It does what it's meant to do, hot water and now we're trying out the central heating but there's one thing that doesn't seem right and that's when the central heating is off. It sounds like a fan just running the whole time.

The flat's got a one-room sitting room kitchen type front room, and we've been sleeping in here and at night this fan noise is keeping us up, so we turn the power off to get some sleep.

What makes me think something's wrong with it is that the fan noise stops when the central heating is on, only coming on occasionally, presumably to heat up the radiators.

Does my question make any sense? Can anyone offer some advice?

I would get the property management agent to do something about it but I think I know his answer - that there's nothing wrong with it.

By the way, shouldn't there be a sticker on it somewhere saying when it was last serviced?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
this boiler has a permanant pilot and the fan should run on low all the time the boiler isint being used for heating or hot water.

you might just find that turning the power off will stop the fan, but will possibly put out the pilot light through the overheat stat whilst cooking the heat ex washers leaving leaking joints which can be messy

Hmm, ok so you're saying I'll cause trouble if i keep turning it off?

@picasso - thanks for the info - so it is a fan? It sounds old! Whatever. This raises the question though why is the boiler silent when the CH is on? (most of the time, just not when it's actually heating water)

So I could turn the thermostat right down but leave the CH on, so I don't actually heat anything but the fan doesn't come on?

Sponsored Links
the fan will be on when ch is on,you will just be hearing it more when its running slowly as said by Picasso it perm runs at slow speed to disapate heat from pilot

Fan runs at low speed when theres no demand to maintain combustion air to the pilot.

The fan might be noisy because the boiler is well overdue a service. Muck and dirt on the fan can make it noisy

As you are a tenant we have to ask if you have been given a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate?

Tony

Hi Tony

I was given nothing. This is a private landlord I am renting from. There is a property management agent, and he is pleasant enough but very difficult to spur into action.

Would a gas safety certificate be dated? If so, how long does it last for? A bit like an MOT I guess?

edit: is a gas safety certificate given after a service?

All landlords, by law, must have a Gas Safety Certificate every year.

Its for your safety! You have to be given a copy!

You should ask the Agent for a copy. An agent can also be prosecuted! Their professional societies will not be happy if you made a complaint as it brings their trade into disrepute!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back