W/C Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to embark on my next project. I am planning to convert a storage cupboard (which was an external w/c originally) back into a w/c.

I work for a national plumbers merchant, so I know a bit ... but only a bit!

I have cleared the room, and found the old soil pipe in the floor. It is still open, and poking a flexible stick down there shows that it is is unblocked (as far as I can reach).

Clearly this must've been blocked somehow as there are no smells coming up, but the question is how, and can I unblock it?

I have heard that people sometimes pour concrete down there, but would this not pour straight through into the sewers? Can it be 'broken up' and unblocked?

Also, given that this is from a very old w/c, its likely to be from a low level w/c. can I have this adapted / changed for a close coupled w/c?

If I can have the existing waste unblocked, i'd prefer to do that, but if not, could I have a new waste put in the floor (concrete by the way) and have it put in for a close coupled while i'm at it? How much is this likely to cost?

I can't run an external waste pipe due to space issues.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Chris

Sponsored Links
To see if its blocked pour water down it and see if it fills.

Measure the volume of water you pour so you can calculate how far down the pipe its blocked !!!

Thats such a useful tip that I should have kept it to myself!

Tony

Ha ha. Will try the water trick, but what do I do once I have a waste full of water? lol.

Is there any way of unblocking it if it is blocked?

Could it be blocked under the manhole where it enters the drain?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
open the manhole - pour 5 litres of water from a bucket down the drainhole in the w/c. time how long it takes to pour it - and have someone with a stopwatch looking in the manhole . Calculate the velocity and depth of flow from this - or if it`s blocked :idea: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back