W5 engine oil @ Lidl

So does a "German brand" signify quality? Surely they produce some cr@p , just like everyone else? Makes me laugh when I read Auto Express and it goes on about "legendary VW build quality" and then follows it with a list of faults and recalls.

Sponsored Links
Some companies in the UK import crap so other countries probably do it!

My faith in German goods is based on stuff I've bought in the past such as hand tools although the issue the VW emissions not to long ago is a vote against their products.

I honestly can't argue to/for on any engine oil product. The only thing you can do when buying oil, I suppose, is make sure it complies with what your car engine needs but is £30 - £40 for 5L buying quality oil or just a famous brand name?

A sure way of ascertaining oil quality is to commission a chemical laboratory to test it but that's just plain daft!

I wonder how much oil actually comes from the Orient :eek: - the masters of copying.
Engines painted in Honda colours, but made from plasticene, likewise the Stihl saw copy.......
I would have to wager, tools with a 3 year warranty such as those sold by the budget supermarkets must originate from the far East, surely - and just imported by German and other companies? For example - a Lidl Pillar drill, £49 with 3 year warranty.....impossible in the West.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Aha that would be XL or XXL Nige.....or were you a GTX man (y)
I'm talking about knackered old minis and even more knackered old Fords and Vauxhalls that I grew up with!

I just vented the rocker box to the atmosphere....cleared up the mayo a treat! (Prevented the carb choking up too.)

The old days of Ford Consuls, Anglias etc chugging along with clouds of blue smoke coming from under the engine compartment.... And the underside of the bonnet covered in oil.....

I had an old volvo that I bought as a "pickup" when I was doing up a house. It had 1/3rd of million miles on and used about a pint a week. I used whatever crap I could find. I've had other cars only ever filled with Mobile 1 and they were done after 100k. I think a lot has to do with how stretched the engine is.

.......the oil slick on the drive, as if the Exxon Valdez had parked there......and the cross ply tyres that gripped occasionally.
Aye, them were't days - but we were 'appy :LOL: (and skint)

I used Silkolene engine oil for many years. Mainly because my uncle drove tankers for them for 38 years and he got me a five gallon can out the back door now and again for nowt. :sneaky:

Once or twice a week he drove a tankerful of engine oil from the refinery in Derbyshire down to one of the big London Transport bus depots. He came back with a tankerful of used engine oil from bus sumps for recycling. There was so much diesel in the used oil from those knackered old bus engines that they recouped enough diesel to run a truck on it all week.

Pub quiz question for you: Which famous actor was connected with Silkolene?
Timothy Dalton. His family owned it. Silkolene aka Dalton and Co. He still lives near where the refinery used to be at Belper.

If it wasn't for Dalton and Co. the RAF wouldn't have been flying in the war. Daltons developed a process to recycle aircraft engine oil. They recycled the sump oil out of every RAF plane in the UK during WW2. They continued recycling engine oil way into the 80's but the environmental problems and the costs outweighed it against producing new oil.

Just on the issue of oil and diesel engines - if you change your oil and oil filter regularly (no more than 5000 miles) the engine will run like a sewing machine forever. I had a 1988 Peugeot 1.9 diesel (not the turbo) that did 380,000 miles on the original engine. It got through three gearboxes and bombed its final MOT magnificently but it served me well. I'm on a 1.6 TDCI Mark 2 Focus (Peugeot engine...actually a 1.6 HDMI) at the moment and use Mobil Super 3000 5w/30 FE oil. It contains an anti-sludging detergent. The worst enemy of turbo units is sludge clogging up and snapping the turbo. It used to be expensive at £39.99 from Halfords. I managed to source it on Amazon at £29 at one time. Now I get it from Wilkinson for £24. I could get 5w/30 from Asda for a tenner for a 5 litre tub but it isn't worth the risk of knackering the wagon.

Sponsored Links
Back