warmflow oil boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a friend in orkney with one of these oil boilers installed only 2 years old. Suddenly every time the hot water is drawn the overheat trips and you can actually hear the water "kettling" in the boiler, if you switch the hot water off then the heating works fine for days, but as soon as the hot water is switched back on it overheats ant trips again, then you have to wait for the air vent to release the steam/air until you can have the heating back on. A few plumbers have spent a few hours a day there and cant seem to get it right, does anyone on here have any experience of this? thanks if so.

Sponsored Links
Better to get a boiler engineer than a plumber.

Its a simple matter of checking the sensors and other parts of the boiler to identify the fault.

Tony

Yes fixed two with similar problems. But they where older boilers.
More than likely the installation was done on a dirty system and that
has caused the problem. Boiler needs complete flush out.

thanks, from what ive seen its a new system, all rads and pipework look new, the house was done up in one big hit, though i cant be sure if any old pipework was left in. Aparentely theyre boiler engineers and will be speaking to the manufacturer this week. thanks for your help although i may be back with more info if the next visit is as successful as their last few.

Sponsored Links
The Warmflow uses a Grundfos Pump-plan (Two Pumps)
it is possible that the hotwater primary pump has failed and so is not circulating water around the store/plate HE during hot water mode?
the plate may be blocked or the flexible hoses 1" flex hoses connecting the pump to the boiler may be blocked internally (I've been caught on that one before!) ;)

also check the heat store is bled of air completely. If there is an air pocket, then the thermostat does not get hot enough to switch, and the boiler keeps piling in heat until it overheats.

Tony

Now Tony, you know the Scottish Highlands & Islands, there's more sheep than 'Boiler Engineers'. I've a mate in Inverness, he does a lot of boiler repairs. But that's still a long way from the Orkney Islands.

Thanks for your replies, the plumbers/boiler engineers have been on to the manufacturer and they talked them through it all, coming to the conclusion that the heat exchanger is the fault as the condensate trap is full of black water. However the plumber/boiler engineer has apparentely said that the boiler cant cope with running baths, so its my mates fault! How does that sound to you guys?

Sounds like Warmflow are talking a load of Ballcocks to me!!!
if the condensate is black it is is a sign that the boiler is perhaps burning a bit rich - I can't see how black water in the trap can possibly indicate a failed heat exchanger :rolleyes:

It MUST be possible to overccome the problems with this boiler!!

I see. Guess we'll have to wait until the heat exchanger has been replaced and see if its sorted. Still not sure on comment about the boiler not being big enough to cope with running a bath though. Thanks again

Tony

Now Tony, you know the Scottish Highlands & Islands, there's more sheep than 'Boiler Engineers'. I've a mate in Inverness, he does a lot of boiler repairs. But that's still a long way from the Orkney Islands.

Aye up Puller, I,ve also got a mate who does boilers aswell.....Hes in America, so about as much use as your mate. :LOL: :LOL:

even though grundfos pumps are top of the range i would agree with boilerman2.faulty hot water prim pump not circulating and boiler going off on the high limit stat.thats were i would look first assuming pipework is correct.
sounds like the burner needs set up/serviced also.
i would be interested in how warmflo handle this so keep us up to date.goodluck.

does the central heating work ok when the water is switched on, if not i would say a faulty flow switch stuck in flow position. Turn the water supply off and remove the switch and try it.

Hi all, sorry for the lack of info, but ive just returned from orkney and things arent much better.
Theyve shown me the receipt for £1490 and i cant work out what theyve done apart from change the heat exchanger. Unfortunately i didnt bring the receipt home but it mainly bills for 8hrs plumbing labour, over £700 of electrical works, a pressure vessel, heat exchanger and a few washers/seals.
They still dont get more than 5minutes hot water before it runs cold and they have to wait 5 minutes or more before it will heat water again, though the heating is still ok.
Apparently the manufacturer talked them through a few things on the phone and it was sorted, i assume they had already installed the heat exchanger and rang the manufacturer when that didnt work.
As you can expect, theyre not too happy.

Hi all, sorry for the lack of info, but ive just returned from orkney and things arent much better.
Theyve shown me the receipt for £1490 and i cant work out what theyve done apart from change the heat exchanger. Unfortunately i didnt bring the receipt home but it mainly bills for 8hrs plumbing labour, over £700 of electrical works, a pressure vessel, heat exchanger and a few washers/seals.
They still dont get more than 5minutes hot water before it runs cold and they have to wait 5 minutes or more before it will heat water again, though the heating is still ok.
Apparently the manufacturer talked them through a few things on the phone and it was sorted, i assume they had already installed the heat exchanger and rang the manufacturer when that didnt work.
As you can expect, theyre not too happy.

Laughable really. That the idiots would do this.
You could have a brand new boiler for about the same. And they still haven't fixed the problem!!! It's the pipes from the heat exchanger that need cleaning out. A 10-30 minute job and by the sound of it they
didn't do that particularly well. There isn't anything that is wrong with
the existing parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back