warmfront boiler choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have just had a technical survey and i was told i can have the full grant £3.5 installing a condensing boiler like for like . i have an old potterton back boiler gravity fed . He said i would have the ICOS condensing boiler fitted . No other optiions were offered .Irang EAGAHEAT and asked if there were any other options . Apparentely the worcester greenstar however it might not be big enough i was told .Can someone help me on a choce. Also do i have a choice of installers or do i have to go through Eagaheat How do i use the grant to my advantage .It seems a lot of money for fiting there suggestion of a boiler
regards

Sponsored Links
Change the boiler!! You do not want an Icos. it is a piece of junk.

Apparentely the worcester greenstar however it might not be big enough i was told .
drunk-irish-048.gif

somebody is pulling your chain

wonder why ;)

They can fit any boiler. There's no restriction in choice. As the government keep telling us, the warmfront scheme is an open market for all companies.
With this in mind one wonders why they fit so many of what is widely regarded as one of the worst boilers currently available. A cynical person might think there's some kind of closed shop, where only one company gets all the work and only one type of boiler gets fitted ............ :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
so do i get another installer , and how do i go about that or tell eagaheat the boiler i want. which is? thanks

tbh. I'm really not sure how you go about choosing an installer and boiler. If you do a search on google you'll find lots of helpful and worrying information.

Tell Eagaheat what boiler YOU want. You do have a choice but they don't tell you so that they can maximise profits. However because you are entitled to the full grant, you can only use one of their installers. i.e you can't ring around.

how the hell does that figure i dont dispute your word . So in affect i tell them i want a baxi or valiant for eg. and they say no its a ideal boiler or nowt , what a deal that is . However i will give it a go. thanks

I'd recommend you do the following:
Search the forum on: warmfront, iguana, and aega.
This will give you and idea about what kind of people will do the job.

After that, search the forum on ideal boilers, that will give you an idea about the kind of boiler they want to fling on the wall.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you get a £3500 job done for free. What you will get is a cheap boiler, flung on the wall in a matter of hours. Even if you manage to get a Worcester, it won't be the CDI, which is the only good one.

And be prepared for them to try and talk you in to "contributions for extras".

Thousands upon thousands have officially complained in writing about the appalling quality of warmfront installs; it is the typical government story of overpriced, poor quality that is taking too long to deliver. You may not have to pay for the boiler, chances are you will spend endless sums in years to come to get the junk repaired.

I'd recommend you do the following:
Search the forum on: warmfront, iguana, and aega.
This will give you and idea about what kind of people will do the job.

After that, search the forum on ideal boilers, that will give you an idea about the kind of boiler they want to fling on the wall.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you get a £3500 job done for free. What you will get is a cheap boiler, flung on the wall in a matter of hours. Even if you manage to get a Worcester, it won't be the CDI, which is the only good one.

And be prepared for them to try and talk you in to "contributions for extras".

Thousands upon thousands have officially complained in writing about the appalling quality of warmfront installs; it is the typical government story of overpriced, poor quality that is taking too long to deliver. You may not have to pay for the boiler, chances are you will spend endless sums in years to come to get the junk repaired.

thanks i understand what you are saying but if your boiler packs in and they are putting one in for you As a pensioner with disibility and cant afford, what do you do I am just trying to get the best for myself . i am learning as i go along your advise alone on the worcesteR CDI helps .As i have been told you can legally have what boiler you want
thanks

OP there are certain people on here that have allegiances to manufacturers (me obviously) and a lot more that are in the huff over the Warmfront contract :rolleyes:
The Icos is not that bad a boiler at all provided the commissioning and instal is done ok.
It is a heat only boiler with very little components to go wrong(I work for Ideal ;) )
I dont know much on the Eaga, Warmfront stuff as that is not part of our remit in Scotland (BG home services look after that up here)so have never seen any instals apart from the bad ones on here! :rolleyes:
BUt TBH on here you will only get the bad ones as no one is going to come onto a forum and say " Had a boiler and instal done, nothing wrong with it and no story to tell"
The Icos is giving very little problems now in its latest version as the electrodes, pcb etc have also recently been changed and uprated.

[/quote]The Icos is giving very little problems now in its latest version as the electrodes, pcb etc have also recently been changed and uprated
Ideal have never said that before have they sham ;)

The Icos is giving very little problems now in its latest version as the electrodes, pcb etc have also recently been changed and uprated
Ideal have never said that before have they sham ;)

Seriously though even on here there are more folk looking for Valiant,baxi Pott, Vokera etc. help than icos and Isar (even the one on the front page is not a boiler problem it is a wiring system problem but people come on here saying I have a problem with my Ideal boiler when in fact its external to the boiler )
The problem is that some(not all) immediately think the worst and rush in and change a PCB (at 200 notes) before actually finding out whats wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back