Warmfront v Potterton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,some months ago came on here asking advice for my "old" potterton 50 boiler,that had a fault.Following advice on here had the part replaced and again is working fine.Today warmfront engineer called to do technical survey to install(disabled wife).I had thought about this beforehand and having read threads previous on here about being crap,sent him away,he seemed quite suprised,but its a grant for nought he said, aye i replied and crap they are too.Hope my old "Potty" lasts a few more years now,or will have the wife chewing my earholes. :eek: :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Boilerman,it was on initial survey,and before being repaired.
:eek: :eek: onlyfitidealboilers,the chap that repaired mine (old sckool)advised me to keep my potterton,that he could keep it going longer and cheaper than replace with ideal,which in his own words are a pile of sh1t,and i wont work on them. :oops:
londonboy,he was in the area already.

so what your telling me is you were eligible for a £3000 grant for a brand new boiler etc an you kicked him out? yes there are some bad installers working for warmfront but then again there are some very good ones two.

bet you regret tellin him to f off now. why keep an old inefficient "potty" you need to give your head a wobble. if i was your wife i smack you two!!

:rolleyes:

I have to say i agree with your engineer they are ****e boxes but other boilers are available on the scheme

A wise man who refuses to work on the biggest pile of poo ever produced by Ideal

Call WarmFront, offer grovelling apologies and when the guy comes back make sure you demand a Baxi off them. They do Baxis as well as Ideals, but only about 1 in 100 are Baxis. I reckon if you insist on a Baxi you would get one.
Just make sure the installer knows that water runs downhill - not all of them know that - and whatever else you let them do, don't let them install a condensate pump with drain pipe running up to the loft and out into the guttering. The pipe will freeze up and the pump will overflow taking down the ceiling below. The pump will pack up and overflow even if the drain pipe doesn't freeze. Make them install the boiler where they can run a simple 22mm white plastic pipe leading directly downhill to a drain.

Call WarmFront, offer grovelling apologies and when the guy comes back make sure you demand a Baxi off them. They do Baxis as well as Ideals, but only about 1 in 100 are Baxis. I reckon if you insist on a Baxi you would get one.
Just make sure the installer knows that water runs downhill - not all of them know that - and whatever else you let them do, don't let them install a condensate pump with drain pipe running up to the loft and out into the guttering. The pipe will freeze up and the pump will overflow taking down the ceiling below. The pump will pack up and overflow even if the drain pipe doesn't freeze. Make them install the boiler where they can run a simple 22mm white plastic pipe leading directly downhill to a drain.

If you wire the pumps correctly they shut the boiler off before taking ceilings down :confused:

I was only doing breakdowns on other peoples installs. One I remember going to was on their second lounge ceiling after the last effort at fixing the fault wasn't done properly. I agree, if the pump is wired correctly and works correctly then the boiler gets its power via the pump. This assumes that the float switch on the pump is working. They break and the pump stops but the volts don't.

Do the maths... I for example have an old Potty and have been offered a 2700 quid warmfront boiler replacement (if my potty 'mysteriously' breaks down.

I suspect they will say I have to pay an etra 1k to move pipes, flush etc to a suitable location for a modern boiler (old one is open flue). Then they will probably fir a ****e boiler.

My potty is 80% efficent, versus 93% on o condensing .

At best (blue sky scenario ) this is a saving of 13% which would save me maybe 130 quid per year.

So with or without warmfront it could take around 10 years to recoup the outlay.

onlyfitidealboilers
he wont work on them cause he carn't he ment to say bit to technical for an old "sckool" plumb bum
Not at all he is fully conversernt with modern boilers,just dosent rate ideal boilers.Been to to many call outs for them within a very short space of installation. i.e. outside normal gaurentee.
Axel,havent a clue what your on about bud. :rolleyes: :eek:

paul there arnt many gas fitters who can work on the isar, an if you can why would you say "am not working on that" a boiler is a boiler". whats his problem like :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back