WARMFRONT Rebate: Is it a rip-off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have my central heating system completely replaced, including the pipe work. I have my £300 warmfront rebate voucher, the installer I have chosen is not one of their registered installers, but I understand all they need to do is go online to register. My chosen installer did say that warmfront isn't all it's cracked up to be and that they wouldn't receive the full £300 rebate after having deducted it from my bill. Is this so? Also, I'm wondering if the heating companies on this register quote a higher price to begin with. I've had 7 different quotes... British Gas £5600 (wow) out to lunch, obviously didn't chose them .

Sponsored Links
Is it a rip-off?
It is for the average taxpayer who foots the bill and gets nothing ;)

The installer doesn't get the full £300. Or as EAGA likes to put it, the installer does receive the full £300. Less a £50 administration fee :LOL:

I wouldn't worry about who gets what discount. Just see what it is going to cost you at the end of the day and what you will get for it. British Gas may (or may not) offer you something valuable like a few years plumbing cover, or they may be offering big discounts. Not so expensive as they used to be but still likely to cost more than anywhere else. Also you might get fobbed off with a crappy boiler.

If you have a local installer that you trust then that is probably your best bet.

I understand all they need to do is go online to register.
I think the installer will find it's a bit more involved than that.

You should have received details of six registered installers with your voucher. Have you tried them for quotes?

The whole warmfront thing is a scam.
It does not matter the slightest who gets the rebate, or how much it is exactly.
There are only 2 important things involved.
1. The quality (reliability and longevity) of your system.
2. The total amount you have paid by the time the project is completed. £300 rebate/discount may sound enticing, but £5000 - £300 for a crap system would not exactly be a better deal than a good system for £4500 and no discount.

Mr Hailsham (who is a know-it-all householder and not a pro) shows once again his ignorance by hinting at getting lots of quotes.
1.A lot of good installers are not prepared to be one of the many companies quoting, as it is a waste of time.
2.A quote only gives you a figure, it tells you nothing about what you will get for that.
3.As getting a lot of quotes shows a high chance that the prospective customer is price-lead, the higher figure of a good installer will likely be rejected. The result of that is that you increase your chances of getting inferior quality.

Sponsored Links
It's very simple, for the installer any one can register , customer makes a phone call to warmfront , states they are 60 or over , boiler has packed up or been turned off you get a voucher for £300 , installer does work invoices sends a copy to warmfront ect money paid straight into bank :D
Simples !

warmfront deduct 50 squid for admin charge ? so installer gets £250 However if u already know this u stick the £50 on the price to the customer , so in effect they only get £250 simples :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back