Warning notice for new boiler and gas supply turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if anyone could help advise/clear up the following situation for me. I recently (May2016) had a new Combi Boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 835) fitted to my 3 bed 1.5bathroom house that has 8 radiators and no other gas appliances by 2 gas engineers who work for a very large (over 130 plumbers) and well known heating contractor in the South East, I should add the work was done on a private basis and not through the well known company.. Over the last 2 months the bar pressure has dropped 3 times where the boiler has cut out, I was unable to contact the 2 gas engineers and assumed this was a fault with the boiler so had a Vaillant engineer out to check the problem. On his inspection he has found that there was maybe 1 or 2 very slow leaks on 2 radiators and that the boiler has a ‘low inlet working pressure of 10mb’. He also found that a new gas pipe of 22mm was NOT installed from the meter to the boiler, it is was just connected to the old pipe at floor level to all of which he has issued me a warning notice and turned my gas off. Can anyone advise how serious this is and whether the 22mm pipe needs to be installed or not as this is all under the new floor/kitchen I had installed? I have tried to contact the 2 gas engineers who installed my boiler without any success and have just noticed that the gas certificate they have given me was signed/completed by an engineer/different company (Corgi Registered) that is neither of them and this 3rd engineer who has completed the certificate was never at my property and yet he has stated my boiler has 22mbon the commissioning paperwork. Have they broken some regulations here, besides not installing the 22mm pipe, they have fraudulently completed the certificate, will informing Corgi do any good? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Reap what you sow.....how did you make contact with the installers in the first place????????
1.5 bathrooms?????

I would report this to gas safe the engineer who signed this off has broken the law.Phone up the two jokers who did the work and tell them they are going to be reported.I bet those two are not gas regd.

He also found that a new gas pipe of 22mm was NOT installed from the meter to the boiler
A moot point considering the lack of information you have supplied.
Low inlet working pressure is not always a cause for concern and certainly doesn't warrant an 'at risk' notice to be issued should combustion be within tolerance..

Sponsored Links
Contact the installer whose name is on the paper work he is the person that certified the installation if he won't respond you need to contact gas safe did you receive the building regulations paper work from gas safe if it was registered.
I assume this was a cash weekend job

Just advise the installers you would appreciate a call back before you attempt to get in contact with them through the company they work for.

Corgi will not be interested & Gas Safe even less!!

It beggars belief why some people don't employ the services of known local Plumbers & Heating Engineers??!! Given the danger etc, but yet they penny pinch, go for the cheapest - with their tail light warranty!!

Just advise the installers you would appreciate a call back before you attempt to get in contact with them through the company they work for.

Do you think British Gas will be interested in what their staff do on a weekend?? Most employers will not give a stuff & tell the OP he's a Muppet!!

Do you think British Gas will be interested in what their staff do on a weekend?? Most employers will not give a stuff & tell the OP he's a Muppet!!

Well although I dont think its bg in this case with their 130 plumbers in the south east, I do know bg class it as gross misconduct and are always keen to keep their guys nervous. So yes, pretty much.

No other gas appliances , yet is still on 22mm , I would be looking at the govenor before accusations are made

So you contact a large company and when they send round their gas engineer you get a 'cash' price and take it up.

Naughty naughty- you have cut corners and now have being stuffed. You will have to contact the original company who will tell you where to go and sack their gas engineer.

Merry Christmas.

Andy

why get gas works done on the cheap by someone you don't know , just for saving a couple hundred or a few quid you are paying the price now . CHEAP ISNT ALWAYS BEST (y)

Penny pinching right enough

In a way Gas Safe register might be your salvation

These guys that fitted your boiler, are unlikely to have their own registration, hence could be prisecuted for carrying out work for which they are not registered.

Furthermore, if Gas Safe do no take the case up, I would be tempted to report Gas Safe and the installers to HSE

If all fails, a letter to a national newspaper, I am sure could produce desired results

To start off, give these toe rags a bell and leave a message on their phone saying you are going to contact Gas Safe re illegal gas work. Chances are they will come running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back