Washing machine still smells - after full cleaning

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Filter washed and cleaned.

We don't use the tray to put detergents in ever.

Rubber seals thoroughly cleaned. (Spent 30 minutes doing).

Many times have used baking soda first on hot wash, followed by white wine vinegar - each time using 3 cups.

Then used professional ready made cleaners.

We had a partial drain blockage - got that sorted as well (I was thinking maybe the water wasn't being flushed out fully).

It's better now after the last step.

But still getting odour on some of the clothes.

Not sure what to do ‍♂️

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Outlet pipe running outside specs or the connection allowing dirty water to run back to the machine

Post pics of the outlet hose arrangement.
And what temperature are you calling a hot wash?

Sponsored Links
I had an Indesit for a couple of decades then swapped to a Samsung.

Ironically, the Indesit was never smelly, despite having much cooler wash options.

The Samsung smelled awful. I used to do the clean (no powder) wash at 70 degrees regularly.

Now I find a regular dose of this stuff keeps the stink at bay.
1704310621866371673291030332354.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Do you live in a hard water area? Add calgon tablets if you do

Reality is that detergent manufacturers say you can wash at a lower temperature - I would do an empty hot wash with vineger and a couple of calgon tablets

Before this, I would put the machine on a 95º wash with 3 dishwasher tabs.

But it's a long expensive wash!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Outlet pipe?? Oh. This is something that hasn't been inspected!
I can't show a meaningful pic, all in a tight space.

One thing...
The outlet pipe is connected to the sink.
When the washing machine is running, the water over flows into the sink - but then goes down.

Is that a bad sign that I need to do something about?

95 degree washes: plenty done. With baking soda one time. Then white wine vinger the next. This must have been done 5 times over the past 2 months.

But I will try hot wash with 3 dishwasher tabs. That hasn't been tried.

One thing...
When the washing machine is running, the water over flows into the sink - but then goes down.

Does the machine's flexible discharge pipe, on route to the sink, rise up to around 2/3rds the height of the machine, before dropping to the sink drain?

Water, flowing back into sink, suggests the drain might be obstructed.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Outlet pipe?? Oh. This is something that hasn't been inspected!
I can't show a meaningful pic, all in a tight space.

It is very, very important.

Photograph as much as you can. The hose, the sink waste, the connection, the waste pipe, and where it goes. The drain or gully.

Draw sketches showing the route

This is more important than anything else you do.

Is that a bad sign that I need to do something about?

As above, there is possibly an obstruction in the pipe running from the sink onwards. Have you tried to clean the u-bend under the sink?

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Nor the kilogram or whatever - of gunge, which they claim in the TV ads.

I don't know about the kilo claim... years ago I had to extend the waste hose on my mum's washing machine. She tends to do 30 degree washes. The gunk does build up in the hose.

One day I had to deal with it- that pretty much means that I removed the pipe from the sink end and blew through it until the gunk turned up in the drum. I have since recommended that she does a 90 degree wash from to time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back