Washing Machine Waste Hose, underfloor boards - Is it a crazy idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to do the kitchen out (upstairs kitchen, bedroom underneath) and it would really make sense to position the washer and dryer on the other side of a doorway (that can't be moved). However this would block off the path to the sink / external drain.

The joists run in the correct direction so that it would be very easy to lift the floor boards and drop the hose just underneath, then back to the sink (only 2 meters away), a much shorter path than it is currently is, and in reality only 2" lower.

I just can't help but think I'm going to regret it in the future. I was thinking of doing with solvent weld pipe, not a flexi hose, but a sealed path to the sink.

Just can't quite convince myself it's not a really bad idea so would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Many Thanks,

Darren.

Sponsored Links
Presume you mean the washing machine drain hose not the inlet hose...
If you drop it under the floor and into a waste pipe then you’re going to have to keep a fall on that pipe out to the external drain.So long as you bear this in mind you should be fine

Yeah, Id' have no concerns, but I'd run the solvent weld, not the hose. It's no different to all the other pipes under the bathroom floor that I hope I'll never have to touch. I'd be more concerned if it was downstairs, but you have a ceiling you can use for access if you really needed to.

Hi thanks for the replies, sorry I don't think I was clear. The drain will go under the floor, then back up to the sink. The idea been the washing machine will push through the trapped water.

A bit more explanation, while the kitchen is upstairs (technically) we are on a steep hill, and the drain at the back of the house is effectivity where the kitchen would be ground floor. Tanked downstairs bedroom. Maybe pictures might explain better.... I'll take some when I'm home in day light!

Thanks

Darren.

Sponsored Links
No, will never work. Extending drain hoses is usually frowned upon, but trying to do what you propose I suspect will be a non starter. It is unlikely the washing machine pump will be man enough to force the water that distance anyway.

Put some pics up, we'll see if there's an alternative.

WASHING MACHINE.PNG

Hopefully the above image make sense.

Basically the issue is getting the waste pipe past the door aperture, and back up to either the waste outlet in the corner (at same ground level of the kitchen, or to the sink)

All the other drain points for the house are rain water soak aways.

If you went straight out of the wall with a waste pipe behind the new washer dryer position could you run this to a gully, hopper or soil stack nearby? if so,that’s what I would do.
If not you’ll have to go under the floor in
waste pipe and either join in to the waste pipe for the sink if it’s under there or take it out of the wall separately.And you will need a fall on the pipe.
The labelling on your first photo is confusing.you are pointing to a ground floor extension next to the kitchen but the kitchen is on the first floor according to your first post...

Last edited:
If you went straight out of the wall with a waste pipe behind the new washer dryer position could you run this to a gully, hopper or soil stack nearby? if so,that’s what I would do.
If not you’ll have to go under the floor in
waste pipe and either join in to the waste pipe for the sink if it’s under there or take it out of the wall separately.And you will need a fall on the pipe.
The labelling on your first photo is confusing.you are pointing to a ground floor extension next to the kitchen but the kitchen is on the first floor according to your first post...

Thanks for replying. We are on a very steep hill. To the front of the house (proposed washer position), there is only one soak away for the getting. The main and only drain is at the back of the house. As we are on such a steep hill, the extension is ground floor, at that side, I'll try and find an exterior picture which will make sense.

Basically if I moved the washer there the pipe would have to drop down then raise back up to the drain.

20191217_200940.jpg

Drain is at the back of the extension, the gutter down pipe on the left runs under the road then fed into the river... Think I'd get in bother for using that... If I got caught.

Nothing under the extension.

Interesting to see pic,thanks.
So the waste pipe for the current kitchen sink how does that exit the property and where does it discharge to outside? Does it drop down under the floor into the ceiling void and then out or does it go out of the wall in the corner you have indicated but above finished floor level?

Hi Steady,

Thanks for your support. That is a very good question. Image below is from Google Earth, which shows the approx. position of the Drain. When we first moved in we planned on putting a toilet downstairs (Glad we didn't as the builder we were going to use was going to feed it into what I have now found out is a soak away that spills onto the drive!). When doing this we got a few quotes and one plumber recommended getting Yorkshire water out, they did come (surprisingly good service from them) and they stated they had no idea where any of the sewage was in the area as they had no drawings, and could only state that is wasn't along the road. There recommendation was to use the existing soil pipe. We ended up not bothering due to the amount of the work it would have been to get the drain pipes

At the back of the house (single story) underneath the floor is a soil pipe that runs under the floor (blue line) from the ensuite, under the main bathroom and heads towards where the kitchen sink drain is underground. I did think about going through this, but there is a cavity wall built separating the 2 bits of the house, with tanking between, so don't want to touch that area for fear of affecting something, the floor is really loos at the this point as well so access is very poor.

There are a few houses around and all on mains sewerage, it must just be a very old system. I'm hoping the above explanation will explain I've limited myself to either not moving the washer / dryer when doing the kitchen, accepting a small risk and running a feed from the washer to the sink pumped via the washer under the floor (potentially a better solution than we have now), or adding a pump / macerator with hidden service panels).

Thanks,

Darren

Darren.
Capture.PNG

Quite a challenge you have got there.
You could try the extended drain hose thing and see if that works- if you have the laminate floor up in the kitchen to do that work, you may well be able to see where the sink waste pipe connects into the main soil pipe-sounds like it runs either in the ceiling void (unlikely as you say joists run the other way)or it runs in some boxing-in accessible from the room below.
Ideally I would want to locate and connect into that sink waste pipe under the floor before it disappears into that corner of the room.If the sink waste drops vertically from the sink trap straight into the floor you will be onto a winner.If it runs horizontally through the base units before dropping down in the corner it would be more of a headache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back