Washing Machine Wirring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first time on these pages so I think it best to give a brief outline of what electrics experiance i have had. In the past i have fitted spurs to ring circuits and relocated exisitng sockets. I am now faced with more of a challage.

The problem!
We have recently moved into a house. The kitchen is quit old and hence we are going to replace it.
The cooker that we are using is gas and plugs into the electric cooker radial socket. This raidal is used only for sparking the gas , this socket also has a spur coming off it power a cooker extractor fan.
The washing machine is located under the sink and is no where near an exisitng power socket, the nerest is about 8ft away and is a spur. The cooker socket is the nerest one. Currently the washing machine is plugged in using an extension cable trailling across the floor.

Solution??
Would it be possible to take a spur from the cooker switch and take it to a socket near the washing machine where the wahing machiene will then be plugged in? I cant see how this will overload the socket/wire as it has only a extractor fan and the 'sparky bit' for the gas cooker to power.
If this is allright to do what thickness of cable should i be using?
If this is not allright to do what other suggestion is their?

Sponsored Links
i think the washer m/c needs its own fused switched spur.Mount a 2 pole 20 amp fused s/w above the work top,connect this fused s/w into the existing kitchen ring circuit,a single non switched 13 amp outlet is then fed off this to behind the washer m/c.These need to be in such a position as to not get splashed from the sink.better still get a sparks to do it for around 80 quid. nice and safe.

Sponsored Links
One fuse is the ideal number.

(like crafty says)

JohnD said:
One fuse is the ideal number.
My point exactly.

Hairyhaggis, at risk of sounding daft, Part P now applies to domestic electrical work in England and Wales. Since you haven't selected a location, I have to mention this. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back