Water hot - heating not switching on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating working perfectly Friday evening.

I have my heating on constant and just control it by turning down the heating switch.

Turned up heating switch yesterday and nothing happened. Red light on in boiler cupboard which says heating on.

I have had no problems with water - still hot.

Boiler seems to be working perfectly as flame comes on when I presume heating water.

Any ideas - or should I stop stressing and call someone in - if it is something simple would prefer to try and solve as money very tight at the moment.

Thank you for any help

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The little 'motor' in the motorised three way valve has packed up. Easy to change, look in FAQs number 3.

The central heating system is 2 1/2 year old and until now have had no problems with it, typically warrenty ran out after 2 years and now having a problem!
The hot water is still working fine, although central heating is working sporadically, therefore discribing the system is difficult but here goes!

The heating system is an open vented with a cylinder for the hot water.
Problems started about 6 months ago when the central heating did not come on, we had a engineer called out but again typically the heating fully worked and therefore he couldn't diagnose any problems. Since them it's worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when we came home to find the house cold with no central heating working.

As the timer appeared to work and the room thermostat didn't have any effect, I presumed knowing little about central heating systems, that we may have a faulty stat. I purchased a sunvic 7501 www.sunvic.co.uk/tlx7501rt.html and pressuming I have wired this up correctly (2 live and 1 neutral wire - live to C, neutral to ON and second live to OFF, - i did try the live wires the other way but this blew the fuse on the timer switch).
This new stat had no effect and the central heating continues to not work on demand, while the hot water works fine. But the heating does work occasionally when I turn the Cylinder stat up and turn the heating off/on at the timer - but as I said this is very sporadic and doesn't work every time.

I then found this website and after reading many of the posts, in particular the FAQs sticky, I'm learning it may be a motorised valve problem.
However, the motorised valve on my system has 2 LEDs and both are lit?

Does the LEDs being lit have any significance and have I wired the new room stat correctly? Any further advice and checks I could do would be very much appreciated - before I call out an engineer.
Many thanks for reading my post.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Chances are your original stat was fine and you have changed a perfectly fine Honeywell for a cheap piece of junk from sunvic, which you have wired up wrong; neutral ALWAYS goes to neutral.
Would you have an Ideal or a Potty by any chance?

Chances are your original stat was fine and you have changed a perfectly fine Honeywell for a cheap piece of junk from sunvic, which you have wired up wrong; neutral ALWAYS goes to neutral.
Previous stat was a Myson, and just bought a cheap stat as I wanted to check if this was the problem not to upgrade.

Can't understand if your trying to be helpful or sarcastic.

I only posted on this site for a bit of advice not for comments like
neutral ALWAYS goes to neutral

The little 'motor' in the motorised three way valve has packed up. Easy to change, look in FAQs number 3.

Many thanks 'tryitandsee' at least when telephoning someone stating problem and they come up - with the same answer fills me with far more confidence - thank you again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back