Water pump will not switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a problem with the water pump in my house. It is used for taps, flushing toilets, and shower. The cold water mains tap does not use the pump.

The pump used to switch off when the above were turned off but now it stays on all the time. I have to turn it off at electric mains. Does anyone know what could be the cause and if I need a new pump?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks, is that within the pump and is it possible to be diyed

not be in the pump but an external control device that will bring pump on after flushing toilet, for example. it then builds up a new head of pressure and then cuts out pump.

if you can work a multi meter you can check the pressure switch is making/breaking circuit

Sponsored Links
The pump is running constantly, even with taps turned off etc. If it is the pressure sensor where do I find it as I do have a multimeter, what should I be checking for?
thanks

I have just been looking near the pump and there is a small connector attached to water pipe and also connected to the mains, and also a silver dome about 10 cm by 5 cm, with 1 bar labelled on it. Is that the pressure sensor and switch?

That system uses a pressure switch which turns off the pump when the pressure is say 1.5 Bar.

The sphere ( "ball thing" in Irish ) contains half water and half air and that allows the pressurised water to compress the air and provide a small reservoir of pressure to allow tiny leaks not to cause over cycling of the pump.

That setup is very reliable and you should first check that there is no leak in the output piping before checking the pressure switch. If there is a pin which operates the switch then the gland may have seized up.

A posted photo would help us to see what you have got there.

Tony

That seems to be a nice Stuart Turner pump.

It looks as if it has both flow switches and a pressure switch.

If I am right then almost certainly a flow switch has jammed on. This is usually as a result of the magnetic shuttle becomming stuck.

Its a simple thing for someone familiar with these pumps to drain and check and clean the shuttles.

However, the question arises wether you have the necessary skills to test the reed switches and to dismantle and then to refil and ensure there is no air in the pump as dry running for very long will damage the seals.

Tony

Thanks for the information. If I get a plumber to do the job, what cost would I be looking at?

In London I would charge our standard diagnostic charge of £84 and that would probably cover all the repair if the magnetic shuttle is stuck. In Ireland I have no idea!

Part of the problem is that you are now in the realm of electronics and most "plumbers" dont even know how to use a multimeter.

Whatever you do dont pay unles its on the basis of a no-fix no-fee !

Now would I suggest you pay on an hourly rate as you can quickly run up a bill of more than the cost of a new pump!

Tony

Thanks again. Is the flow switch the one with the arrow facing upwards(in the picture)?
On the same topic, the motor is very loud, it has always been, even before the problem I have had. It can be heard throughout the house, the house is only 5 yrs old with hard floors so noises are amplified.
What is the best way to muffle the sound, does the motor have to be suspended from the ground somehow, boxed in etc.
The motor seems to be just sitting on a piece of wood on a concrete floor at the moment.

Yes, its the bit with an arrow. I think there is another on the other outlet.

If you know how to do it you can test the switch electrically without taking it all apart.

I put the pump on a chunk of paving slab and that on top of foam rubber!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back