Water running cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Brittony water heater. The water from it has started to run a lot colder than before but everything 'appears' to be working properly.

The manual says that the water governor could be sticking and therefore remove, clean and replace (all of the other options in manual I have checked). Is it safe to do this by just turning off the water or do I have to turn off the gas as well?

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it is just because the cold water from the mains is colder (ie ground temperature) and the boiler is struggling to get temperature up to what you have been used to. The water throttle has to be turned to reduce the flow of water. Perhaps obvious I know, but worth a mention.

I must get a life :oops:

Thanks for that. Is the water throttle something easy to recognise and turn down? I least I can check that out.

However the water tends to run colder then heats up for a couple of minutes then runs colder again. Also I have never noticed a drop in water temperature when the outside temp has dropped before.

And also, your reply was not that obvious. I'm completely re-doing my house and I'm now good at brick-work but just learning plumbing :rolleyes:

Sorry, I assumed this to be the britony 11 water heater, I should have asked first.

If you have not noticed any increase in flow rate and have not (or anyone else for that matter) turned/touched the flow regulator (ie more water flowing more quickly) and the water is not as hot as you remember it to be, perhaps the heat exchanger is getting scaled up (like a kettle does over time).

God this gets complicated to write down. ;)

If it's the one I'm thinking about it has two large white dials in the front, one does ignition the other is the flow regulator. By turning the flow regulator when the boiler is running, you must be able to tell if the water flow increases or decreases whichever way you turn it.

Help, anyone :oops:

Sponsored Links
See, I told you I was just learning plumbing :)

It is the Brittony II and now you mention the two dials on the front I know exactly what you are talking about. When I get home I will reduce the flow and see what happens. Funnily enough, I have noticed that the flow rate increased at about the same time as the temp dropped.

I really appreciate your help and when I start my plumbing and CH business I'll give you a call :oops:

Ha! I'm married to a liverpudlian but living in the west country; now that is interesting!

My original question about the gas was because my wife is not keen on me messing with gas :p If I could remove, clean and replace governor (after I have now tried flow rate!) without touching gas supply that would have kept her happy. I know it's just a turn of the valve on the pipe but she has images of house orbiting earth :confused:

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back