water softener + dishwasher + salt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can advise.. I have just got a new dishwasher, it is plumbed in on the water that is softened by a newly installed water softener.. do I still need to put salt in the dishwasher? is the only purpose of the salt to soften the water used or does it do something else too?

If I do put salt in will it use less because I'm now using soft water or does it always use the same amount?

also it looks like the dishwasher (bosh integrated) has its own built in electric softener on the supply hose, my plan was to set our water hardness level to the lowest as the main softener should obviously deal with the hardness..

cheers

Trev

Sponsored Links
you don't have to put salt in, as long as your Domestic softener is constantly working correctly and the incoming water is fully softened.

If your house has been running on hard water for a long time, there will be limescale deposits in the pipes (which will slowly dissolve away in the softened water). In this case, put salt in the dishwasher softener, but leave it set low.

The dishwasher will use salt according to its setting, not according to the actual hardness of the water.

brilliant, thanks JohnD - that was what I was hoping :) all new plumbing between incoming main and dishwasher so shouldn't be any old deposits..

Sponsored Links
The salt in a dishwasher doesn't soften the water, it cleans and changes the charge on the water softener unit granules. The salt isn't used at all in the washing or rinsing process, cleaning/charging takes place after drying so salt never reaches your dishes. Any residue is flushed and drained away at the start of the next use.
Even if you have soft water you should still put salt into the dishwasher and turn it / set it to it's lowest setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back