Water tank, ball cock valve constantly dripping! help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The water tank is in a cupboard in my bedroom in the rented house i live in.
The ball cock valve has been replaced once, then adjusted and the ball float has also been changed.
I can do some washing up in the morning and return home 8 hours later and it will still be dripping. The maintenence dept of the letting agency have given up and i'm so fed up of hearing that drip that i will have to move out if i can't make it stop. The only way it will shut up is when i reach up and pull on the tap and manually fill it up, so it drips no more. How long should a water tank take to fill up if you haven't used much hot water (aka washing up/washing hands)
Any help is greatly appreciated

PS if you click and look at my profile i have uploaded a pic of my limescale ridden tank... its the brass valve fitting that drips

Sponsored Links
the whole valve was replaced, would that not include the washer ? did you look at the pic?
The ball does not look very new, nor does the valve! So someone is not telling the truth (not you ;) )!

Did you see them change it or was it done when you were out and the letting agency just said it had been done?

Sponsored Links
this pic was taken before they changed the ball float, they did change that when they were here last time, and my partner saw them bend the long thing that attaches to the ball float as it was still dripping. I've requested they send someone else to change the valve this time since the handyman that's touched it the past two times has made it worse.
The fittings don't even cost much. Are they difficult to fit? i'm thinking getting a friend to do it since this maintenence dept are not helpful/seem to know what to do

Are there any leaks that could slowly be taking water from the tank?

This is apparently just the water tank that hot water takes from so that would be just the taps, from the taps there are no visible leaks from them...

Not just the taps that could be leaking. Any part of the pipework between the tank, the cylinder and the taps.

Difficult to understand what the handyman did.
Did he only change the plastic ball on the end of the arm, or did he replace all the brass fitting.

All he needed was a £1 worth of parts, cone, washer etc.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ball-valve-spares-107pcs/98525?_requestid=970417
Best I could find

Perhaps give the Estate Agent another go, but tell them that the rent may be delayed this month, may sharpen their minds a little!

i'm thinking getting a friend to do it since this maintenence dept are not helpful/seem to know what to do

DON'T TOUCH IT.
If anything goes wrong then you will be blamed and charged for any damage. Which could be thousands if it causes major damage to flats below.

Phone up the letting agent and follow it up with an email detailing what was said.

You could explain that it is overflowing and causing damage elsewhere. ;)

Andy

Difficult to understand what the handyman did.
Did he only change the plastic ball on the end of the arm, or did he replace all the brass fitting.

All he needed was a £1 worth of parts, cone, washer etc.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ball-valve-spares-107pcs/98525?_requestid=970417
Best I could find

Perhaps give the Estate Agent another go, but tell them that the rent may be delayed this month, may sharpen their minds a little!

they first changed the brass fitting, and when it was still dripping, they changed the arm thing and ball.
thanks for the link :)

i'm thinking getting a friend to do it since this maintenence dept are not helpful/seem to know what to do

DON'T TOUCH IT.
If anything goes wrong then you will be blamed and charged for any damage. Which could be thousands if it causes major damage to flats below.

Phone up the letting agent and follow it up with an email detailing what was said.

You could explain that it is overflowing and causing damage elsewhere. ;)

Andy
i'm in a terraced house... how would i check if there is a leak elsewhere?

As HD said, don't be tempted to DIY.

What is the water pressure like? It is possible that there is poor flow into the cistern.

Is the agent a small local band, or part of a national outfit? Keep hassling them.

I think either EcoWarrior or Eaton live in Northants, is your handyman one of those? :D

As HD said, don't be tempted to DIY.

What is the water pressure like? It is possible that there is poor flow into the cistern.

Is the agent a small local band, or part of a national outfit? Keep hassling them.

I think either EcoWarrior or Eaton live in Northants, is your handyman one of those? :D
No, its a letting agents based in MK, they have their own team of handymen... they are not experts in this field and basically don't seem to want to pay a professional to look at it...
i guess i will have to research how much it would cost to get it fixed myself and recharge it to the landlord...

bekibee";p="1999734 said:
As ]
No, its a letting agents based in MK, they have their own team of handymen... they are not experts in this field and basically don't seem to want to pay a professional to look at it...
i guess i will have to research how much it would cost to get it fixed myself and recharge it to the landlord...
bekibee";p="1999734 said:
LOL It's not exactly cutting edge. I assume you've rented before, and I don't wish to be patronising, but you need to follow some sort of process, or you'll never see your cash again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back