WC building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me the building regs when converting a downstairs cupboard to a WC? The WC has a small hand basin fitted, but since it's primarily for the kids to use, I didn't fit any hot water. My question is, do I need to fit an extractor fan since there is no window? I always assumed the fan was to extract steam and reduce condensation?

I can live with the smell of a fart or two, but will my local Clerk Of Works think differently?

Cheers in advance,

Paul

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
a w.c. must have ventilation by means of extractor or other means.

Thanks for that mate.

So, since there's no condensation issues, I assume our government want me to use electricity (which we should be conserving you know), to extract the odd fart or two, considering the upstairs loo is the main dumping area?? How bizarre. Who on earth decides on these stupid regulations?

Oh well, where's my core drill?

Cheers,

Paul

It's a public health issue, not a construction issue

Probably decided years ago along the lines of a fresh smelling WC is better than a foul smelling one.

Obviously, it is up to you whether you use the fan or open the window (if fitted)

Sponsored Links
You need ventilation. Your room is pressurized meaning when you flush it sucks air down the toilet and out of the room. If you have no window, you'll need passive ventilator or if you have a window, itll need passive ventilators in the frame.

and then theres the electrics..light switches have to be pull-cord switches and you'll need Part P certificate. You will also need BC approval for your drain runs to the main sewer.

TOPSURV said:
and then theres the electrics..light switches have to be pull-cord switches and you'll need Part P certificate.

Ah, the blind leading the blind I see ;)

TOPSURV said:
You need ventilation. Your room is pressurized meaning when you flush it sucks air down the toilet and out of the room. If you have no window, you'll need passive ventilator or if you have a window, itll need passive ventilators in the frame.

and then theres the electrics..light switches have to be pull-cord switches and you'll need Part P certificate. You will also need BC approval for your drain runs to the main sewer.

Unless your flying at 20,000 feet, your toilet is NOT pressurized and you will not implode when you flush the toilet by a vacuum forming.

You will need ventilation via an extractor fan as you have no windows. Condensation issues normally only apply to kitchens, bathrooms and shower rooms, toilets require extraction to remove smells and other gases from the room.

Pull switches are not a requirement in a toilet, however it would good pratice to either fit one or put the light switch just outside the door.

Salem

You also need to have at least 2 doors between the toilet and the kitchen.

Really? You're allowed to have a toilet opening directly into the kitchen?

You also have to consider a vent for the toilet waste i.e. a dergo (air admittence valve) if your not going straight into a vented soil pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back