Weatherproofing side alley for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Newbie here.

We have just moved into an end of terrace house. Next to our house is a privately owned block of garages (which the owner rents out, I believe), and we have a passageway side access to our back garden of just over 1m wide which is already secured at the front by a solid wooden door.

We would like to waterproof this passage way between our house and the garage rear walls, secure it further by adding another door at the back (in our garden) and use it for storing bikes, a kayak, tools and garden stuff.

I've done some searches online but am unclear as to what this would be called and so am struggling to find out what rules might apply. There are at least 2 houses in the close vicinity who seem to have already done something similar.

Could anyone give me some help with the following questions? 

1. Would this need planning or building regs?
2. Would we need to get permission from the owner of the garages to attach something to the garage walls (the doorframe at the front of the passage is already secured to the garage)?
3. Are the rules different if we put a solid or a transparent roof on it?
4. I think the drains run under the floor of the passage (which is decked) - would this cause any problems for this plan?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Dragonrider1

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back