Wet paint peeling off walls back to plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Hope someone can help.

So we bought a house a few years ago from a property developer. It looks like a magnolia bomb has gone off in every room. Was OK at first but looking very grotty now!!

We decorated two rooms in the house so far and have been faced with the same problem both times.
As soon as we paint the walls, and the fresh paint starts to dry, it just starts to peel off like wallpaper in big strips!! It peels off every layer of magnolia underneath and right back to bare plaster.

When we were decorating the bedroom before our baby arrived, we ended up having to steam every inch of the walls with a wallpaper remover and scrape it off. It was SO messy.
We always ensure we do a thin watered down undercoat first but that doesn't seem to help.

Our front room really needs decorating but I don't know if I have it in me now to do it!!!!! It's so messy!! Does anyone know why this is happening or how we can prevent it.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a tin of zinsser gardz, it's a sealer primer for problem surfaces that is water based and you apply it by roller.

Have a look at this and see what you think, not cheap but it will definitely do the job then you can paint the wall no problem; http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Mike

Sounds like the property developer didn't apply a mist coat, causing the paint to peel off, or he used PVA on bare plaster. He should be slapped!
good luck with it all...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. It's worth a try huh! So just sand the walls down as normal, apply that, then paint away?

Yes , you can do it as simple as that!

The other product that they do which will do the job as well is zinsser bin, it's shellac based and although it is for stain cover, it does a brilliant job of sealing walls as well;http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/b-i-n/

Good luck
Mike

I agree with all of the above. This is what happens when an improper mist coat is applied and for it to peel off in sheets it must have been a vinyl emulsion. Contract matt is the best product for misting and will never peel off in sheets as it contains no vinyl, so won't create an actual film that will peel.
Go the Gardz route and you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back